Purplish-backed Jay

  • Garry George
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2001
      A probable juvenile Purplish-backed Jay was observed in our backyard in
      Miracle Mile this evening at 6:50 pm.

      It was perched and calling in a jacaranda tree for approximately one
      minute.

      We didn't have time to video or photograph but are prepared if the bird
      appears again.

      The bird had a yellow beak and legs. Part of the lower beak had turned
      to black - a concentric triangle on the inner lower mandible. The eye
      was black. Black head and chest and dark purple shiny back and wings.

      The long tail feather edges were ragged giving the impression that it
      might have been caged.

      Identification was made through Howell and Webb's BIRDS OF MEXICO.
      Joseph and I have seen and heard this bird before so it was familiar
      especially the call.

      We are planning to play a tape for the bird and video it.

      Interested parties can feel free to contact us.

      Garry George
      Joseph Brooks
      926 S. Citrus Ave
      Los Angeles, CA 90036-4929