Violet-crowned Hummingbird in Grass Valley-Nevada County

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 2:07 PM
      OK, now that I have your attention, I need to tell you all that this bird
      was present only one day, Feb 8, and seen only by the finders. Luckily, they got
      some good video to document this extraordinary occurrence.

      I am only posting this so that no one will be asking, "Why didn't I know
      about this bird" when you see the record in North American Birds. Believe me, no
      one is more disappointed to miss this than I...

      Jan and Barbara Collins saw the bird at their feeders in the morning and,
      very wisely, set up a video camera to record the feeder the rest of that day.
      It visited the feeder a few more times and they got the video. It was never
      seen again.

      There are only five previous accepted records for California and this is
      first ever from an inland county! Its also the first that didn't hang around at
      least a few days. A Ventura County bird stayed for nearly 6 months from
      summer well into winter, birds in LA and Sonoma were each visitors for a few days
      in late May, a San Diego bird stayed for a month in winter and a Humboldt
      visitor for a week in fall.

      Ed Pandolfino