North American Birds Winter Reminder

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      March 1, 2006

      Dear North American Birds Contributors,

      The winter season has already come to a close so
      please send your noteworthy records from the Middle
      Pacific Coast Region for the period 1 Dec- 28 Feb to
      the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to
      the Regional Editors by 10 March.

      Please pay special attention to the format example
      given at the end of this message. Reports that are
      formatted properly make our job far easier. In
      particular, it is important to note that there is a
      single tab between species, date, etc.

      PLEASE use Subregional Editors for the counties that
      have them. These SREs painstakingly keep track of
      records within their counties and are in most cases
      THE source of information on the birds of their
      counties. By sending your records to the SREs, you
      are helping to contribute to their county files as
      well as to North American Birds. If you wish to send
      copies to the Regional Editors, we welcome them, but
      please send records through the SREs as well. If you
      have a noteworthy winter sighting from a county
      without a Subregional Editor, please send records to
      the Regional Editors below.

      Records of loons-frigatebirds and larids-alcids go to
      Scott Terrill at:

      H.T. Harvey & Associates
      3150 Almaden Expwy., Suite 145
      San Jose, CA 95118
      sterrill@...

      Records of herons to shorebirds go to Mike Rogers at:
      499 Novato Ave.
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086
      m.m.rogers@...

      Records of doves through thrushes/Wrentit (in the new
      AOU order, that includes vireos and shrikes) go to
      Steve Glover at:
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin, CA 94568

      countylines@...

      Records of thrashers to finches go to Luke Cole at:
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      SUBREGIONAL EDITORS

      Alameda
      Bob Richmond
      24650 Amador St. #15
      Hayward, CA 94544
      Brichmond94544@...

      Alpine, Calaveras & Modoc
      John Sterling
      29 Palm Ave.
      Woodland, CA 95695
      ani@...

      Amador & El Dorado
      Tim Steurer
      4042 Bancroft Dr.
      El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-6933
      tsteurer@...

      Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba
      Bruce Deuel
      18730 Live Oak Road
      Red Bluff, CA 96080
      bdeuel@...

      Contra Costa
      Steve Glover
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin CA 94568
      Sgloverccc@...

      Del Norte
      Alan D. Barron
      1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
      Crescent City, CA 95531
      flockfinder@...

      Fresno
      Gary W. Potter
      2183 Walton Ave
      Sanger, CA 93657
      gwpott@...

      Humboldt
      David Fix and Jude Claire Power
      P.O. Box 4331
      Arcata, CA 95518
      dfxjcp@...

      Kings
      Luke Cole
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      Lake
      Jerry R. White
      P.O. Box 113
      Kelseyville, CA 95451
      grwhite@...

      Lassen
      Tim Manolis
      808 El Encino Way
      Sacramento, CA 95864
      ylightfoot@...

      Madera
      Jeff Davis
      30705 Pennyroyal Lane
      Prather, CA 93651
      jndavis@...

      Mariposa
      David Vander Pluym
      1683 Buena Vista St.
      Ventura, CA 93001
      SCRE@...

      Mendocino
      Bob Keiffer
      P. O. Box 354
      Hopland CA 95449
      rjkeiffer@...

      Merced and San Benito
      Kent Van Vuren
      26 Vista Dr.
      Salinas, CA 93907
      vanvurenk@...

      Mono
      Kristie Nelson
      P.O. Box 402
      Lee Vining, CA 93541
      storm_petrel@...

      Monterey
      Don Roberson
      282 Grove Acre
      Pacific Grove CA 93950
      831-373-2566fax
      creagrus@...

      Napa
      Murray Berner
      210 Monte Vista
      Napa, CA 94558
      (707) 224-5897
      vireocity@...

      Nevada
      Brian Williams
      8200 Turner Dr.
      Granite Bay, CA 95746
      bwcal@...

      Placer
      Ed Pandolfino
      5530 Del Rose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      Plumas & Sierra
      John "Mac" McCormick
      2351 Filbert St.
      Apt. #102
      San Francisco, CA 94123
      macmc94123@...

      Sacramento and Yolo
      Chris Conard
      2405 Rio Bravo Circle
      Sacramento, CA 95826
      chris.conard@...

      San Francisco (mainland)
      The City: Mark Eaton
      1524 36th Avenue
      San Francisco, CA 94122
      mweaton@...

      San Joaquin
      David G. Yee
      11707 N. Alpine Rd.
      Lodi, CA 95240
      davidyee@...

      San Mateo
      Peter J. Metropulos
      2940 Turk Blvd.
      San Francisco, CA 94118
      pjmetrop@...

      Santa Clara
      William G. Bousman
      321 Arlington Way
      Menlo Park CA 94025
      barlowi@...

      Santa Cruz
      David Suddjian
      801 Monterey Ave.
      Capitola, CA 95010
      DSUDDJIAN@...

      Shasta
      Bob Yutzy
      P. O. Box 990237
      Redding CA 96099
      boby@...

      Siskiyou
      Ray Ekstrom
      2209 Delphic Rd.
      Montague, CA 96064

      Solano
      Robin Leong
      336 Benson Ave.
      Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
      robin_leong@...

      Sonoma
      Ruth Rudesill
      P.O. Box 371
      Kenwood, CA 95452
      rar@...

      Stanislaus
      Jim Gain
      3300 Cardinal Flower Ave.
      Modesto, CA 95355
      phalarope@...

      Trinity
      John E. Hunter
      P.O. Box 4483
      Arcata, CA 95518
      jhunter323@...

      Tuolumne
      Steven Umland
      15818 Parkridge Ave.
      Sonora, CA 95370
      sumland@...

      We currently have no regional editors for Marin and
      Tulare Counties. Records from these counties should
      be sent directly to the Regional Editors.

      The Reporting Deadlines are:
      Spring Summer Fall
      Winter

      Season ends May 31 July 31 Nov 30
      Feb 28

      Observer reports to Subregional Editors (SREs)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10
      Mar 10

      Observer reports to Regional Editors (if not sent to
      SRE)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10
      Mar 10

      SRE reports to Regional Editors
      June 20 Aug 20 Dec 20
      Mar 20

      Regional Editors final text to ABA office
      July 10 Sep 10 Jan 10
      Apr 10

      PLEASE meet your deadlines so that we can meet our
      deadlines!

      Please send reports in our preferred order: species,
      date(s) [including year], locale, co. abbrev., number
      of birds, and observer, and then, on a second line,
      any comments. Please separate these sections by a
      "tab" (except just a space between locale and county
      abbreviation) on electronic versions submitted.
      Again, here's an example of the correct format:

      Grace's Warbler 12/13/98-2/20/99 Jacks Peak MTY 1
      RFT, mob
      A second record for the Region (the first was
      6/26/91 at Deer Spring, Glass Mt. MNO) which wintered
      with a large flock of Townsend's & Hermit warblers at
      the very top of Jacks Peak in Jacks Peak Regional
      Park. Details by Tintle and others are enclosed.

      Many observers and Subregional Editors have been
      submitting their reports electronically, either on a
      diskette or by e-mail. PLEASE submit electronic
      reports if possible. We are trying to maintain an
      electronic database of at least recent records, and we
      hope to be able to have all old data entered
      eventually so that the entire database will be easily
      accessible to anyone who wants it. Electronic
      submission of records in the format described above
      makes it much easier for us maintain this electronic
      database.

      We've heard questions about, comments on, and
      criticism of our regional reports from several
      observers and SREs. We really appreciate this
      feedback, as it helps us to better represent what is
      going on in the Region as a whole. Please help us
      correct any factual errors we make, and don't hesitate
      to let us know what you think of the reports.

      Many thanks to all the contributors and Subregional
      Editors who make these reports possible!

      Sincerely,

      Luke Cole, Mike Rogers, Scott Terrill, and Steve
      Glover

      (Middle Pacific Coast Regional Editors)
    • Steve Glover
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
        March 1, 2007

        Dear North American Birds Contributors,

        The winter season has already come to a close so
        please send your noteworthy records from the Northern
        California Region for the period 1 December - 28
        February to the appropriate Subregional Editors (see
[...]

        Records of waterfowl through quail and herons through
        shorebirds go to Mike Rogers at:
        499 Novato Ave.
        Sunnyvale, CA 94086
        m.m.rogers@...

        Records of doves through thrushes/Wrentit (in the new
        AOU order, that includes vireos and shrikes) go to
        Steve Glover at:
        6526 Conestoga Lane
        Dublin, CA 94568

        countylines@...

        Records of thrashers to finches go to Ed Pandolfino
        at:
        Ed Pandolfino
        5530 Delrose Court
        Carmichael, CA 95608
        erpfromca@...

[...]

        Jim Tietz
        P.O. Box 751
        Arcata, CA 95518
        jimtietz@...
        Kings
        Luke Cole
        561 Hill Street
        San Francisco, CA 94114
        luke@...

        Lake
        Jerry R. White
        P.O. Box 113
        Kelseyville, CA 95451
        grwhite@...

        Lassen
        Tim Manolis
        808 El Encino Way
        Sacramento, CA 95864
        ylightfoot@...

        Madera
        Jeff Davis
        30705 Pennyroyal Lane
        Prather, CA 93651
        jndavis@...

        Marin
        Ryan Terrill
        1619 El Dorado Street
        Santa Cruz, CA 95062
        enicurus@...

        Mariposa
        David Vander Pluym
        1683 Buena Vista St.
        Ventura, CA 93001
        SCRE@...

        Mendocino
        Bob Keiffer
        P. O. Box 354
        Hopland CA 95449
        rjkeiffer@...

        Merced and San Benito
        Kent Van Vuren
        26 Vista Dr.
        Salinas, CA 93907
        vanvurenk@...

        Mono
        Kristie Nelson
        P.O. Box 402
        Lee Vining, CA 93541
        storm_petrel@...

        Monterey
        Don Roberson
        282 Grove Acre
        Pacific Grove CA 93950
        831-373-2566fax
        creagrus@...

        Napa
        Murray Berner
        210 Monte Vista
        Napa, CA 94558
        (707) 224-5897
        vireocity@...

        Nevada
        Brian Williams
        8200 Turner Dr.
        Granite Bay, CA 95746
        bwcal@...

        Placer
        Ed Pandolfino
        5530 Del Rose Court
        Carmichael, CA 95608
        erpfromca@...

        Plumas & Sierra
        John "Mac" McCormick
        1230 Dog Leg Dr.
        Chico, CA 95928
        macmc94123@...

        Sacramento and Yolo
        Chris Conard
        2405 Rio Bravo Circle
        Sacramento, CA 95826
        conardc@...

        San Francisco (mainland)
        The City: Mark Eaton
        1524 36th Avenue
        San Francisco, CA 94122
        mweaton@...

        San Francisco (Farallons)
        Jim Tietz
        P.O. Box 751
        Arcata, CA, 95518
        jtietz@...

        San Joaquin
        David G. Yee
        11707 N. Alpine Rd.
        Lodi, CA 95240
        davidyee@...

        San Mateo
        Peter J. Metropulos
        2940 Turk Blvd.
        San Francisco, CA 94118
        pjmetrop@...

        Santa Clara
        William G. Bousman
        321 Arlington Way
        Menlo Park CA 94025
        barlowi@...

        Santa Cruz
        David Suddjian
        801 Monterey Ave.
        Capitola, CA 95010
        DSUDDJIAN@...

        Shasta
        Bob Yutzy
        P. O. Box 990237
        Redding CA 96099
        boby@...

        Siskiyou
        Ray Ekstrom
        2209 Delphic Rd.
        Montague, CA 96064

        Solano
        Robin Leong
        336 Benson Ave.
        Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
        robin_leong@...

        Sonoma
        Ruth Rudesill
        P.O. Box 371
        Kenwood, CA 95452
        rar@...

        Stanislaus
        Jim Gain
        3300 Cardinal Flower Ave.
        Modesto, CA 95355
        phalarope@...

        Trinity
        John E. Hunter
        P.O. Box 4483
        Arcata, CA 95518
        jhunter323@...

        Tulare
        Steven Summers
        2553 W. Michelle Ln.
        Porterville, CA 93257
        summers@...

        Tuolumne
        Steven Umland
        15818 Parkridge Ave.
        Sonora, CA 95370
        sumland@...

[...]

        submitting their reports by e-mail. PLEASE submit
        electronic reports if possible. We are trying to
        maintain an electronic database of at least recent
        records, and we hope to be able to have all old data
        entered eventually so that the entire database will be
        easily accessible to anyone who wants it. Electronic
        submission of records in the format described above
        makes it much easier for us maintain this electronic
        database.

        We've heard questions about, comments on, and
        criticism of our regional reports from several
        observers and SREs. We really appreciate this
        feedback, as it helps us to better represent what is
        going on in the Region as a whole. Please help us
        correct any factual errors we make, and don't hesitate
        to let us know what you think of the reports.

        Many thanks to all the contributors and Subregional
        Editors who make these reports possible!

        Sincerely,

        Ed Pandolfino, Mike Rogers, Scott Terrill, and Steve
        Glover

        (Northern California Regional Editors)
      • Steve Glover
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2008
          Dear North American Birds Contributors,

          The winter season has already come to a close so
          please send your noteworthy records from the Northern
          California Region for the period 1 December – 29
          February to the appropriate Subregional Editors (see
          below) or to the Regional Editors by 10 March.

          IMPORTANT NOTICE: After over ten years, Scott Terrill
          is retiring as the editor of the seabirds group.
          Returning to our ranks is Steve Rottenborn. Please
          remember to send all seabird reports to Steve (see
          below). Also note that we have new Subregional
          editors for San Joaquin (Frances Oliver) and
          Stanislaus (Harold Reeve).

[...]

          Steve Rottenborn at:

          H.T. Harvey & Associates
          983 University Ave., Bldg. D
          Los Gatos, CA 95032
          Rottenborn@...

[...]

          bkrdeuel@...

          Contra Costa
          Steve Glover
          6526 Conestoga Lane
          Dublin CA 94568
          countylines@...

          Del Norte
          Alan D. Barron
          1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
          Crescent City, CA 95531
          flockfinder@...

          Fresno
          Gary W. Potter
          2183 Walton Ave
          Sanger, CA 93657
          gwpott@...

          Humboldt
          Rob Fowler
          2277 Heather Lane, Apt. D
          Arcata, CA 95521
          migratoriusfwlr@...

          Kings
          Luke Cole
          561 Hill Street
          San Francisco, CA 94114
          luke@...

          Lake
          Jerry R. White
          P.O. Box 113
          Kelseyville, CA 95451
          grwhite@...

          Lassen
          Brad Stovall
          Stovall Associates
          P.O. Box 4413
          Chico, CA 95927
          Bmspi1@...

          Madera
          Jeff Davis
          11238 N Via Trevisio Way
          Fresno, CA 93730
          jndavis@...

          Marin
          Ryan Terrill
          1619 El Dorado Street
          Santa Cruz, CA 95062
          enicurus@...

          Mariposa
          David Vander Pluym
          1683 Buena Vista St.
          Ventura, CA 93001
          SCRE@...

          Mendocino
          Bob Keiffer
          P. O. Box 354
          Hopland CA 95449
          rjkeiffer@...

          Merced and San Benito
          Kent Van Vuren
          26 Vista Dr.
          Salinas, CA 93907
          vanvurenk@...

          Mono
          Kristie Nelson
          P.O. Box 402
          Lee Vining, CA 93541
          storm_petrel@...

          Monterey
          Don Roberson
          282 Grove Acre
          Pacific Grove CA 93950
          831-373-2566fax
          creagrus@...

          Napa
          Murray Berner
          210 Monte Vista
          Napa, CA 94558
          (707) 224-5897
          vireocity@...

          Nevada
          Brian Williams
          8200 Turner Dr.
          Granite Bay, CA 95746
          bwcal@...

          Placer
          Ed Pandolfino
          5530 Del Rose Court
          Carmichael, CA 95608
          erpfromca@...

          Plumas & Sierra
          John "Mac" McCormick
          1230 Dog Leg Dr.
          Chico, CA 95928
          macmc94123@...

          Sacramento
          Chris Conard
          2405 Rio Bravo Circle
          Sacramento, CA 95826
          conardc@...

          San Francisco (mainland)
          The City: Mark Eaton
          1524 36th Avenue
          San Francisco, CA 94122
          mweaton@...

          San Francisco (Farallons)
          Jim Tietz
          P.O. Box 751
          Arcata, CA, 95518
          jmtietz@...

          San Joaquin
          Frances Oliver
          1817 Songbird Place
          Lodi, CA 95240
          Hummer52@...

          San Mateo
          Peter J. Metropulos
          2940 Turk Blvd.
          San Francisco, CA 94118
          pjmetrop@...

          Santa Clara
          William G. Bousman
          321 Arlington Way
          Menlo Park CA 94025
          barlowi@...

          Santa Cruz
          David Suddjian and Steve Gerow
          801 Monterey Ave.
          Capitola, CA 95010
          DSUDDJIAN@...
          Stephengerow@...

          Shasta
          Bob Yutzy
          P. O. Box 990237
          Redding CA 96099
          boby@...

          Siskiyou
          Ray Ekstrom
          2209 Delphic Rd.
          Montague, CA 96064

          Solano
          Robin Leong
          336 Benson Ave.
          Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
          robin_leong@...

          Sonoma
          Ruth Rudesill
          P.O. Box 371
          Kenwood, CA 95452
          ruthier@...

          Stanislaus
          Harold Reeves
          birder@...

          Trinity
          John E. Hunter
          P.O. Box 4483
          Arcata, CA 95518
          jhunter323@...

          Tulare
          Steven Summers
          2553 W. Michelle Ln.
          Porterville, CA 93257
          summers@...

          Tuolumne
          Steven Umland
          15818 Parkridge Ave.
          Sonora, CA 95370
          sumland@...

          Yolo
          Roger Adamson
          2213 Catalina Dr.
          Davis, CA 95616
          rhadamson@...

[...]

          Ed Pandolfino, Mike Rogers, Steve Rottenborn, and

        • erpfromca@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2009
            Dear North American Birds Contributors,

            The winter season has already come to a close so please send your noteworthy
            records from the Northern California Region for the period 1 December
            through 28 February to the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to the
            Regional Editors by 10 December.

            Please pay special attention to the format example given at the end of this
            message. Reports that are formatted properly make our job far easier. In
            particular, it is important to note that there is a single tab between species,
            date, etc.

            PLEASE use Subregional Editors for the counties that have them. These SREs
            painstakingly keep track of records within their counties and are in most
            cases THE source of information on the birds of their counties. By sending your
            records to the SREs, you are helping to contribute to their county files as
            well as to North American Birds. If you wish to send copies to the Regional
            Editors, we welcome them, but please send records through the SREs as well.
            If you have a noteworthy winter sighting from a county without a Subregional
            Editor, please send records to the Regional Editors below.

            Records of loons-frigatebirds and larids-alcids go to Steve Rottenborn at:

            H.T. Harvey & Associates
            983 University Ave., Bldg. D
            Los Gatos, CA 95032
            srottenborn@...

            Records of waterfowl through quail and herons through shorebirds go to Mike

            jsterling@...

[...]

            Rudy Darling
            12143 Big Blue Road
            Nevada City, CA 95959
            rdarling@...

[...]

            Many observers and Subregional Editors have been submitting their reports by
[...]

            steps!
            %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)