Re: [CALBIRDS] 3 Cal official bird list questions

  • creagrus
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      In addition to the resources mentioned by Kimball, a complete lists of
      CBRC records (accepted, rejected, etc.) through Jan 1997 is available
      right now on Joe Morlan's site. It will have the date of all the older
      records of interest. It is at
      http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt

      As to the "supplemental" list, it is possible that the current CBRC is
      approaching the issue differently. When I was Secretary (late 1980s),
      even the "supplemental" list was a record-driven list. The Committee was
      set up to deal with records, not amorphous concepts. It was possible to
      determine, at least at that time, which record(s) warranted placement of
      a species on the "supplemental" list. This was most obvious in the case
      of Crested Caracara, where the species was placed on the "supplemental"
      list back then on the basis of a Mono basin record, and not on the basis
      of a variety of other old records, including a fair number of reports in
      coastal ports that were thought to be ship-assisted. It had always been
      my understanding that Gray Silky-Flycatcher was on the "supplemental"
      list solely on the basis of the montane bird in Orange County, and not
      any of the more questionably wild coastal plain reports, but it may be
      that the current Committee takes a different approach. Yet I would have
      answered Thomas's question "is the silky-flycatcher on the supplemental
      list because of the Orange County bird" with a firm "yes."

      Don Roberson
      former CBRC secretary/member