RE: [CALBIRDS] 3 Cal official bird list questions

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Thomas,

      Some quick answers to your queries about the California state list.

      First, a book with exhaustive details on all of the records ever
      reviewed by the CBRC as well as detailed species accounts for all
      vagrants and scarce migrants in the state is nearing completion. So
      many people have worked hard on this book for so long that I hesitate to
      even give credit to anybody, but certainly Robb Hamilton, Dick Erickson,
      Michael Patten and Paul Lehman should be mentioned, and a couple of
      dozen other people were involved with various stages of the production
      of the book. Western Field Ornithologists will publish the book; no
      publication date has been set, but
      watch for announcements beginning this fall.

      Until this book is published, your best bet is to look at the regular
      reports of the California Bird Records Committee published on a roughly
      annual basis in Western Birds. Some of these reports are available on
      the WFO-CBRC web site, and all of the content of Western Birds (except
      for the most recent 1-2 volumes) should available later this year
      on-line through SORA. Of course, a good old subscription to Western
      Birds through membership in Western Field Ornithologists is always your
      best bet.

      Gray Silky-Flycatcher was added to the "Supplemental List" on the basis
      of several records, including the one from the Santa Ana Mountains, ORA.
      No record of this species has been accepted, but the species received
      sufficient support from the CBRC members to place it on the Supplemental
      List. Note that the Supplemental List does not contain specific records,
      but rather species placed there on the basis of the whole body of
      records for the state (in some cases the "whole body of records" is, of
      course, just a single record). In the case of the Gray Silky-Flycatcher
      I think it is probably fair to say that the Santa Ana Mtns. record was
      plausible enough to tip committee opinion in favor of placement on the
      Supplemental List. Species on the Supplemental List are NOT on the
      "official" state list.

      Finally, no Calfornia record of Yellow Grosbeak has been accepted by the
      CBRC. A report from Sacramento, SAC in August 1989 was not accepted on
      the basis that correct identification was not established. Other
      reports, if any, have not been submitted to the CBRC.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles CA 90007
      (213) 763-3368
      (213) 746-2999 FAX
      kgarrett@...

      Behalf
      > Of Thomas Miko
      > Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:36 PM
      > To: calbirds@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [CALBIRDS] 3 Cal official bird list questions
      >
      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > 1) I have been looking at the list of California birds online at the
      CBRC
      > web site. Is there a page with more details, say dates and locations
      for
      > the really rare birds?
      >
      > 2) Is the Gray Silky Flycatcher that's on the list the Orange County
      bird?

      > 3) No Yellow Grobeak? As far as I understand, Yellow Grosbeak has
      been
      > seen in California. Of course, it's one of those possbly escaped
      captive
      > birds, so it's origin may be questioned (questionable), but I would
      really
      > love to know more details about Yellow Grosbeak sightings in
      California,
      > and googling hasn't gotten me far...
    • creagrus
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        In addition to the resources mentioned by Kimball, a complete lists of
        CBRC records (accepted, rejected, etc.) through Jan 1997 is available
        right now on Joe Morlan's site. It will have the date of all the older
        records of interest. It is at
        http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt

        As to the "supplemental" list, it is possible that the current CBRC is
        approaching the issue differently. When I was Secretary (late 1980s),
        even the "supplemental" list was a record-driven list. The Committee was
        set up to deal with records, not amorphous concepts. It was possible to
        determine, at least at that time, which record(s) warranted placement of
        a species on the "supplemental" list. This was most obvious in the case
        of Crested Caracara, where the species was placed on the "supplemental"
        list back then on the basis of a Mono basin record, and not on the basis
        of a variety of other old records, including a fair number of reports in
        coastal ports that were thought to be ship-assisted. It had always been
        my understanding that Gray Silky-Flycatcher was on the "supplemental"
        list solely on the basis of the montane bird in Orange County, and not
        any of the more questionably wild coastal plain reports, but it may be
        that the current Committee takes a different approach. Yet I would have
        answered Thomas's question "is the silky-flycatcher on the supplemental
        list because of the Orange County bird" with a firm "yes."

        Don Roberson
        former CBRC secretary/member