3 Cal official bird list questions

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      1) I have been looking at the list of California birds online at the CBRC web site. Is there a page with more details, say dates and locations for the really rare birds?

      2) Is the Gray Silky Flycatcher that's on the list the Orange County bird?

      3) No Yellow Grobeak? As far as I understand, Yellow Grosbeak has been seen in California. Of course, it's one of those possbly escaped captive birds, so it's origin may be questioned (questionable), but I would really love to know more details about Yellow Grosbeak sightings in California, and googling hasn't gotten me far...

      Tom

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "I think it likely that one of these statements is a mistake, and the other is a lie." -Mark Twain 1880
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        Thomas,

        Some quick answers to your queries about the California state list.

        First, a book with exhaustive details on all of the records ever
        reviewed by the CBRC as well as detailed species accounts for all
        vagrants and scarce migrants in the state is nearing completion. So
        many people have worked hard on this book for so long that I hesitate to
        even give credit to anybody, but certainly Robb Hamilton, Dick Erickson,
        Michael Patten and Paul Lehman should be mentioned, and a couple of
        dozen other people were involved with various stages of the production
        of the book. Western Field Ornithologists will publish the book; no
        publication date has been set, but
        watch for announcements beginning this fall.

        Until this book is published, your best bet is to look at the regular
        reports of the California Bird Records Committee published on a roughly
        annual basis in Western Birds. Some of these reports are available on
        the WFO-CBRC web site, and all of the content of Western Birds (except
        for the most recent 1-2 volumes) should available later this year
        on-line through SORA. Of course, a good old subscription to Western
        Birds through membership in Western Field Ornithologists is always your
        best bet.

        Gray Silky-Flycatcher was added to the "Supplemental List" on the basis
        of several records, including the one from the Santa Ana Mountains, ORA.
        No record of this species has been accepted, but the species received
        sufficient support from the CBRC members to place it on the Supplemental
        List. Note that the Supplemental List does not contain specific records,
        but rather species placed there on the basis of the whole body of
        records for the state (in some cases the "whole body of records" is, of
        course, just a single record). In the case of the Gray Silky-Flycatcher
        I think it is probably fair to say that the Santa Ana Mtns. record was
        plausible enough to tip committee opinion in favor of placement on the
        Supplemental List. Species on the Supplemental List are NOT on the
        "official" state list.

        Finally, no Calfornia record of Yellow Grosbeak has been accepted by the
        CBRC. A report from Sacramento, SAC in August 1989 was not accepted on
        the basis that correct identification was not established. Other
        reports, if any, have not been submitted to the CBRC.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles CA 90007
        (213) 763-3368
        (213) 746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...

        Behalf
        > Of Thomas Miko
        > Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:36 PM
        > To: calbirds@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [CALBIRDS] 3 Cal official bird list questions
        >
        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > 1) I have been looking at the list of California birds online at the
        CBRC
        > web site. Is there a page with more details, say dates and locations
        for
        > the really rare birds?
        >
        > 2) Is the Gray Silky Flycatcher that's on the list the Orange County
        bird?

        > 3) No Yellow Grobeak? As far as I understand, Yellow Grosbeak has
        been
        > seen in California. Of course, it's one of those possbly escaped
        captive
        > birds, so it's origin may be questioned (questionable), but I would
        really
        > love to know more details about Yellow Grosbeak sightings in
        California,
        > and googling hasn't gotten me far...
      • creagrus
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
          In addition to the resources mentioned by Kimball, a complete lists of
          CBRC records (accepted, rejected, etc.) through Jan 1997 is available
          right now on Joe Morlan's site. It will have the date of all the older
          records of interest. It is at
          http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt

          As to the "supplemental" list, it is possible that the current CBRC is
          approaching the issue differently. When I was Secretary (late 1980s),
          even the "supplemental" list was a record-driven list. The Committee was
          set up to deal with records, not amorphous concepts. It was possible to
          determine, at least at that time, which record(s) warranted placement of
          a species on the "supplemental" list. This was most obvious in the case
          of Crested Caracara, where the species was placed on the "supplemental"
          list back then on the basis of a Mono basin record, and not on the basis
          of a variety of other old records, including a fair number of reports in
          coastal ports that were thought to be ship-assisted. It had always been
          my understanding that Gray Silky-Flycatcher was on the "supplemental"
          list solely on the basis of the montane bird in Orange County, and not
          any of the more questionably wild coastal plain reports, but it may be
          that the current Committee takes a different approach. Yet I would have
          answered Thomas's question "is the silky-flycatcher on the supplemental
          list because of the Orange County bird" with a firm "yes."

          Don Roberson
          former CBRC secretary/member