Cliff Swallows and other sightings in Mariposa Co.

  • Jim Tietz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2006
      Hi,

      On Feb 24th at 1PM, I stopped by McSwain Forebay and
      saw at least 7 Cliff Swallows inspecting last year's
      mud nests on the underside of the bridge. Anybody
      else seeing early Cliff Swallows? There were also at
      least 5 Tree Swallows inspecting the mud nests. I
      wonder if the mud nests would be suitable for the Tree
      Swallows except that the Cliff Swallows out compete
      them due to their size. Also, an adult Bald Eagle
      flew over and there were a pair of Ospreys present. 2
      Herring Gulls, an adult and a 1st year, were sitting
      on the water. 7 White-throated Swifts flew over
      chattering.

      At noon on the same day, at the corner of Hornitos Rd
      and Slate Gulch Rd I saw a Ferruginous Hawk. And
      there was another Ferruginous Hawk west of Hornitos Rd
      just across the county line in Merced Co.

      Good birding,
      Jim

      Jim

      James R. Tietz