Kumlien's Iceland Gull?

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20 11:42 AM
      Photos taken this weekend of a gull resembling a
      1st-basic Kumlien's Iceland Gull at Clearlake Park,
      Lake County, are posted at:

      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysterygull3
      (best photos)
      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysterygull2

      The site limits the number of hits per hour, so if it
      shuts down, wait an hour and try again. Comments on
      the bird's identity are welcome.

      The gull was seen by several individuals over the
      weekend (and videotaped by Les and Cindy Lieurance, I
      just learned), but was not seen for a month despite
      numerous searches since it was first found on 16
      January (see link in above websites to original
      photos), so relocating it may be very difficult (the
      movements of gulls on the lake are hard to predict).
      Directions to this and other Lake County rarities have
      been posted to Mendobirds.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22 11:50 AM
        Floyd,

        That bird certainly fits the notion of "Kumlien's Gull". We've had some birds like that here in Yolo Co. over the years as well. It's certainly not pure Thayer's, of course. Many now consider "Kumlien's" to be a hybrid swarm between pure Thayer's and pure glaucoides Iceland Gull (which means that virtually all "Iceland Gulls" in the US are hybrids). It also means that anything not pure Thayer's is "Kumlien's", somewhere on the cline between Thayer's and pure Iceland. For an illustration of these viewpoints, see my figures at

        http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/6181/kuml3.htm

        I believe the CBRC has only accepted two Iceland Gulls, and they appear to be pure glaucoides (the Otay bird at http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/photos/icgu2.html; and the adult bird from Bodega ). A photo of the latter and a discussion by the CBRC of kumliens and Iceland is in the 1999 report at http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/98report/98report.pdf.

        Very pretty bird, by the way!

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        >>> Floyd Hayes <floyd_hayes@...> 2/20/2006 11:42 AM >>>
        Photos taken this weekend of a gull resembling a
        1st-basic Kumlien's Iceland Gull at Clearlake Park,
        Lake County, are posted at:

        http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysterygull3
        (best photos)
        http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysterygull2

        The site limits the number of hits per hour, so if it
        shuts down, wait an hour and try again. Comments on
        the bird's identity are welcome.

        The gull was seen by several individuals over the
        weekend (and videotaped by Les and Cindy Lieurance, I
        just learned), but was not seen for a month despite
        numerous searches since it was first found on 16
        January (see link in above websites to original
        photos), so relocating it may be very difficult (the
        movements of gulls on the lake are hard to predict).
        Directions to this and other Lake County rarities have
        been posted to Mendobirds.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County

        Yahoo! Groups Links