Possible Vega Gull in Half Moon Bay, California.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2006
      Folks

      David Vander Pluym found another good candidate for a first cycle Vega
      Gull in Half Moon Bay today. We have not had a Vega candidate photographed
      this winter yet so this is a new bird. The bird closely resembles the two
      first year birds from previous years, links are on the page.

      Comments on the ID are always welcome. Perhaps a question is warranted to
      European birders, how could one know this is not a European Herring Gull
      (however unlikely that is in Califoria)?

      Here is a link to my photos of the bird, watched by a large group of birders
      looking for Slaty-backed Gull.

      http://www.coastside.net/chucao/gulls/Vega.htm

      This is not a separate species yet according to the AOU, but the nearly
      certain split of smithsonianus (American) Herring Gull from the Old World
      taxa would make this a species separate from our local Herring Gull.

      I have also added photos (by Ryan Terrill and David Vander Pluym) of the
      adult Slaty-backed Gull that was around last week, found by Todd McGrath.
      Those photos are up top.

      http://www.coastside.net/chucao/gulls/Slatyback.htm

      Good birding

      Al