RE: [CALBIRDS] SB Gull,s Rock Sandp, Mute Swans

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
      I can't handle the gull or sandpiper questions, but as for Mute Swan...
      Mute Swan is not currently on the California state list. The California
      Bird Records Committee continues to gather information on this species'
      populations in the state. In most parts of the state there are only very
      small, even ephemeral, populations; however, in a few areas,
      particularly in the north San Francisco Bay counties, there are more
      significant populations. The CBRC thanks those, notably Rich Stallcup,
      who have kept us apprised of the status of Mute Swans in these and other
      areas.
      Mute Swan is not likely to be added to the California state list any
      time soon, but it may well develop over the next few years that the
      species meets most or all of our criteria for addition to the list. An
      added wrinkle in the case of Mute Swans is that population control
      efforts may well become necessary in California, given the ecological
      problems caused by this species on the Atlantic coast. Naturalized
      species do not meet our criteria for addition to the state list if
      control measures are underway or proposed which aim to eliminate or
      severely deplete the state's populations.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles CA 90007
      (213) 763-3368
      (213) 746-2999 FAX
      kgarrett@...

      Behalf
      > Of Thomas Miko
      > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 12:04 PM
      > To: calbirds@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [CALBIRDS] SB Gull,s Rock Sandp, Mute Swans
      >
      > 3) What's the current official status, and unofficial thinking about
      Mute
      > Swan in California in terms of them being on the official list i.e.
      being
      > countable?
    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
        Thomas

        RE: Slaty-backed Gull. It is just tough and you need luck. There are
        plenty of times I go out, morning or afternoon and do not see one, the
        majority of times actually. Recently there have been more sightings in
        morning to mid day, but that may be due to more folks coming out in the
        morning than later on. Really any time, but numbers are highest real early
        in morning, or later in afternoon. Avoid Sundays, the dump is closed and
        gulls disperse. If you can, choose an overcast day before or after a storm,
        gull numbers highest then, but this week has been sunny and Slaty-backs have
        been seen.

        Sorry I can't be more helpful.

        Al

        Alvaro Jaramillo