SB Gull,s Rock Sandp, Mute Swans

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
      Hi,

      1) What times are you guys seeing the Slaty-backed Gulls at Halfmoon Bay? I tried contacting David, Alvaro, et al offlist, but my emails keep bouncing back.

      2) Same question for the Rock Sandpiper in Santa Cruz (is it even still there? between which streets along the cliff?).

      3) What's the current official status, and unofficial thinking about Mute Swan in California in terms of them being on the official list i.e. being countable?

      Thanks,

      Tom

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "I think it likely that one of these statements is a mistake, and the other is a lie." -Mark Twain 1880
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
        I can't handle the gull or sandpiper questions, but as for Mute Swan...
        Mute Swan is not currently on the California state list. The California
        Bird Records Committee continues to gather information on this species'
        populations in the state. In most parts of the state there are only very
        small, even ephemeral, populations; however, in a few areas,
        particularly in the north San Francisco Bay counties, there are more
        significant populations. The CBRC thanks those, notably Rich Stallcup,
        who have kept us apprised of the status of Mute Swans in these and other
        areas.
        Mute Swan is not likely to be added to the California state list any
        time soon, but it may well develop over the next few years that the
        species meets most or all of our criteria for addition to the list. An
        added wrinkle in the case of Mute Swans is that population control
        efforts may well become necessary in California, given the ecological
        problems caused by this species on the Atlantic coast. Naturalized
        species do not meet our criteria for addition to the state list if
        control measures are underway or proposed which aim to eliminate or
        severely deplete the state's populations.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles CA 90007
        (213) 763-3368
        (213) 746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...

        Behalf
        > Of Thomas Miko
        > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 12:04 PM
        > To: calbirds@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [CALBIRDS] SB Gull,s Rock Sandp, Mute Swans
        >
        > 3) What's the current official status, and unofficial thinking about
        Mute
        > Swan in California in terms of them being on the official list i.e.
        being
        > countable?
      • Alvaro Jaramillo
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
          Thomas

          RE: Slaty-backed Gull. It is just tough and you need luck. There are
          plenty of times I go out, morning or afternoon and do not see one, the
          majority of times actually. Recently there have been more sightings in
          morning to mid day, but that may be due to more folks coming out in the
          morning than later on. Really any time, but numbers are highest real early
          in morning, or later in afternoon. Avoid Sundays, the dump is closed and
          gulls disperse. If you can, choose an overcast day before or after a storm,
          gull numbers highest then, but this week has been sunny and Slaty-backs have
          been seen.

          Sorry I can't be more helpful.

          Al

          Alvaro Jaramillo