CWWI

  • Greg Frankfurter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2006
      Hi All,

      The Chuck-Will's-Widow that came in to Humboldt Wildlife Care Center was
      released with the recent break in the weather. We had arranged potential
      transport for the bird to a more suitable habitat, but requests to transport
      the bird were denied. Transport can be stressful for the animal and
      questionable from logistical, care, and population perspectives.

      The bird, an adult female, came in to the care center at 80 grams and was
      released at about 120 grams. At this weight it was showing some fat in the
      furcular hollow. Her feather condition was decent, but deteriorating, in
      captivity. Therefore it seemed best to release her while she was still
      capable of flight to better attempt survival in the wild. Please feel free
      to contact me by e-mail if you have further questions.

      We regret that we were unable to contact people to attend the release.
      However, the bird was released on private property on Ole Hanson Road (near
      Indianola) and for the birds wellbeing as well as the landowners it was
      decided that the release would not include members of the public (I didn't
      get to see it either).

      Take care, and please let us know if anyone relocates her!

      Greg Frankfurter
      Humboldt Wildlife Care Center