Cameron Valley/La Posta (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2006
      Hi, all!

      First of all, did anyone lose a green folding chair along La Posta Road?
      I've got it if you did--if no one claims it I'll bring it to the next SDFO
      meeting...

      Anyway, birded Cameron Valley and La Posta Road this morning; interesting
      birds included several SAGE SPARROWS along Cameron (four together at one spot,
      and near the houses one was actually singing already), singing ROADRUNNERS, a
      handful of LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES bouncing over on both roads, and probably
      the most unusual, a LADDER-BACKED WOODPECKER in the oak-filled "residential"
      area along La Posta about three miles north of 94 (there were Nuttall's in
      here, too)! Not sure if he was disbursing or if this is a normal transition
      area; I've never had them here before.

      Complete bird list for the morning:

      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Sage Sparrow Amphispiza belli
      Fox Sparrow Passerella iliaca
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      46 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...