California Condor

  • garysamuel_garykelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      Where is the best place to view the California Condor? Were there
      some released in southern California, if so where and can they be seen
      ther?
      Gary Powers
      Green Valley Az.
    • George B. Cobel
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16 5:35 PM
        I understand that California Condors are often poisoned by eating game
        that has eventually died from a wound caused by a lead containing
        bullet. There is now a lead free bullet on the market.

        In the May 07 issue of the NRA's American Hunter, p48, is an article on
        the Barnes MRX rifle bullet made from copper with a tungsten core.
        According to the article the bullet out performs most if not all lead
        bullets and is available from the Federal Cartridge Company in many
        popular calibers.

        Shotgun hunters have had non-lead shot available for years and it is
        required for waterfowl hunting and in many other areas. Now there is a
        comparable cartridge for rifle hunters.

        How can we get a ruling or regulation in place similar to that on
        waterfowl?

        George Cobel
        Sky Valley, CA

        George
      • CHISHOLM, Graham
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16 10:33 PM
          The CA Fish & Game Commission has proposed an amendment to hunting
          regulations to ban lead ammunition in Condor Country in an effort to aid
          condor recovery. The state Fish & Game Commission, who sets the
          regulations for hunters, has proposed amendments to hunting regulations
          that would prohibit lead ammunition in current condor country. The
          Commission will consider this proposal again in Truckee on June 8 though
          it is possible that the vote will not occur before the fall. These are
          critical meetings. A ban on lead ammunition would mean opportunity for a
          self-sustaining populations of California Condors in the wild.

          If you would like more information on the propose ban on lead
          ammunition, please visit Audubon California's website:
          http://ca.audubon.org/

          Thanks. Graham

          Graham Chisholm
          Deputy State Director &
          Conservation Director
          Audubon California
          4225 Hollis Street
          Emeryville, California 94608
          Tel. 510-601-1866/w
          Tel. 510-301-9407/c
          Fax 510-601-1954

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17 12:07 AM
            Hello All,

            Our local Audubon Society (Wintu Audubon - Shasta County) had a great
            presentation last month by Grainger & Terry Hunt, top raptor
            researchers, which talked about the use of lead bullets and the large
            residue and lead fragments left in the meat of the animal killed. They
            are involved with the Peregrine Fund and many other raptor groups and
            are busy spreading the word about the lead issues and their deadly
            effects on Eagle and Condors.

            But I think the big factor is going to be the fact that there is
            extensive and fairly large amounts of lead bullet residue found in deer
            meat and the probable affect on humans! There is a study of the IQ of
            children who consumed the lead bullet killed deer meat and the drop in
            IQ was some fairly large number each year (like 8 points or something
            like that) and the loss is irreversible!

            Unfortunately it will be the effects on us egotistical humans that tips
            the balance to help Condors I think.

            Forgive any misquotes or errors in statistics - they are mine and the
            little gray cells fault.

            Bob Yutzy
            Shasta, CA