California Condors in South Montery County

  • Sandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
      Today at approx. 7:30am near the 7 Trees (?) on Hwy 1 at least 8
      California Condors were seen soaring and perching. They only got a few
      of the numbers; 3, 14, and maybe number 21. These were seen by Gerry
      Kefalinos, Rick Miles and Steve (I don't know Steve's last name) Rick
      has some pics which I will see later this evening and hopefully post in
      the photos folder. Great way to start the morning! I wish I would have
      been there with them!

      Sandy Novack
      Monterey CA.
    • DaveSFV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
        Hi. I don't know who #3 would be but #14 would be 214, a 6 year old female
        who often takes long trips away from Hopper Mtn. If the #21 is correct then
        that would be AC9 an original wild captured condor born in 1980. AC9 often
        takes long trips away from Hopper Mtn but usually to the Sierras which is this
        bird's original haunt. AC9 has been currently observed in courtship displays
        and will probably mate with 192 a 8 year old female with whom he mated with
        last year. They produced an egg which hatched, but the young chick fell out
        of the nest and broke a wing, and was returned back into the captive breeding
        program.

        Dave Anderberg
        Tujunga

        Subj: [CALBIRDS] California Condors in South Montery County Date:
        2/5/2006 1:04:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time From: _sandygmt@..._
        (mailto:sandygmt@...) To: _CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com_
        (mailto:CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com) Sent on: