Central Calif Part 19: Berryessa Wrap-Up

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi, all!

      It was another dreary, wet day today, but thankfully it wasn't pouring, and
      also thankfully the rain didn't damper (no pun intended) the time, as I was
      just planning on road-birding the area south of the junction of
      Berryessa-Knoxville Road and SR 128. Went in all the little roads on the map, the first of
      which was Steele Canyon Road, another lovely Valley Oak-lined road where I
      picked up the usual suspects, plus a Clark's Grebe and a cormorant where the
      water meets the road. This road ends in a very swank residential
      neighborhood, and after turning around and heading back out again, hit the game bird
      jackpot as there was suddenly a huge herd of Turkeys where two minutes ago there
      were none! One was in full display, but evidently living in a swank
      neighborhood didn't make them people-friendly as they scooted down the embankment the
      minute I pulled alongside them. About a block down the road a covey of
      California Quail did the same thing!

      Wragg Canyon Road was only three miles long and had nothing of interest, but
      interestingly stopping periodically along 128 was very productive (when I
      wasn't playing leap-frog with the grader cleaning up the mud slides)! At the
      first Call Box my county California Thrasher finally sang from the hillside,
      and stumbled upon a little trail near a marina that was probably a fishing
      access trail as it went down to the water and back up. But the spittle had let
      up enough to hike it, and had a very nice Varied Thrush in there. Further
      down at an overlook an Osprey whistled his displeasure at my staring at him,
      and down at the dam I was awed by the giant cliffs! I could understand the
      County Listers' frustration (or elation, depending on what the bird wanted to
      do), though, as a Bewick's Wren scolded annoyedly from the Napa side, but a
      Canyon Wren beeped from the Yolo side, and no Rock Wrens called from anywhere!
      A Common Goldeneye was behind the dam in a pond along with several cormorants
      (I think she was on the Yolo side...). Sure was a spectacular sight, though!

      The interesting thing about the rain is that it seemed to let up the closer
      I got to the lake, then as I headed away from it it started up again (in
      fact, the sun actually broke out a couple of times)! Had the weather been better
      I would have revisited Patrick Road and the sewer ponds, but it was so
      miserable I decided to go ahead and check in at Clearlake, and time how long it
      would take me to get from the motel to the top of Berryessa-Knoxville Road for
      the start of the Big Day tomorrow (and hopefully it won't rain)! Observed a
      dogfight between a young Redtail and a Harrier going up said road, and
      realized that after tomorrow, I will have driven that road four times this trip; do
      you Napa birders get up there very often (beyond the east lake road)??
      Ironically I ran into more traffic today than I had the other times; I would have
      thought that on such a miserable day most people woulda stayed home, not
      negotiate a hair-raising, windy road (complete with stream crossings)! Bird

      Clark's Grebe Aechmophorus clarkii
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Canada Goose Branta canadensis
      Common Goldeneye Bucephala clangula
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Canyon Wren Catherpes mexicanus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Northern Mockingbird
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Varied Thrush Ixoreus naevius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      American Crow
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni