Central Calif Part 17: Napa Road Birding & Sewer Ponds

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hi, all!

      I'm cozied up here in the motel room at noon in St. Helena because the
      weather was so miserable I figured any more road birding would be useless (to say
      nothing of being dangerous)! Started out not too shabby: headed up Patrick
      Road and picked up several nice birds like gobbling Turkeys, Townsend's
      Warbler, Cedar Waxwing, Steller's Jay, and even roosting Turkey Vultures! It was
      very nice woodland (looked like there was quite a substantial willow woodland
      in there), but once you started uphill you got into the clouds and the mist,
      and couldn't see anything much less hear anything! (Did pick up a Say's
      Phoebe, though...) There was some tremendous redwood-type woods up here, and on
      the way out managed to see a beautiful male Varied Thrush up on the hillside,
      plus a "see"ing Brown Creeper. Lower down a Wrentit piped up. Headed up
      Redwood Road after that, just to see what I could pick up by stopping, and
      added chickadees, a curious Hutton's Vireo, and in some deeper woods about five
      miles in, a double-chepping Winter Wren! (That was good to find out I could
      get it along this road and not have to go into the preserve with the barking
      dogs...)

      I wanted to do some more road birding, but I also wanted to check out the
      sewer ponds now that the rush hour traffic had abated, so down I went and
      checked in, and they were very nice; the fellow who showed me where to sign in
      (upstairs) showed me where the roads were and which roads to avoid (the back
      side of pond #3 was the only one), so off I went, only it started raining once
      again, and this time it didn't let up! It wasn't real hard, but it DID want
      to come in the driver's side window, so it made it difficult to see what was
      out there, but at any rate managed to add a nice bunch of waterfowl, including
      both scaups, Common Goldeneye, Cinnamon Teal for the county, and several
      gulls, including Bonaparte's for the county.

      Like I said, it was so miserable that I decided just to head up to St.
      Helena, check in, take a shower, snuggle up in my PJs and start on this, and
      wouldn't you know it--now the sun is shining! Oh, well; I'm too lazy to get
      dressed and head out again...(just hope it stays clear tomorrow morning for
      Hennessey!)

      Bird List: (and the discrepancy in the grand total was due to an input
      error on my part the last time...)

      Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Greater Scaup Aythya marila
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Common Goldeneye Bucephala clangula
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Mew Gull Larus canus
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Bonaparte's Gull Larus philadelphia
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Winter Wren Troglodytes troglodytes
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Varied Thrush Ixoreus naevius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee Poecile rufescens
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      Brown Creeper Certhia americana
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      Townsend's Warbler Dendroica townsendi
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Golden-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia atricapilla
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      54 SPECIES
      So far: 189 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA