  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2006
      Hi, all!

      Yep! He's BAAAaaak! I didn't have time to rush up here with the mob to see
      the Baikal Teal when he first showed up last month, so I was praying that
      he'd stick around until I left for the Morro Bay Bird Fest. My hopes weren't
      up, as he hadn't been seen since Christmas, I believe, but I figured it
      couldn't hurt to try. (Oh, SLO/N/L stands for the Bird Fest in SLO, then exploring
      Napa and Lake Counties...)

      I headed north from San Diego and decided to bypass LA totally, going up
      I-15 to 138 to 14 to I-15 to 101 at Ventura, and aside from one parking lot
      before the 91 near Corona, it was smooth sailing (and a lot prettier scenery, I
      might add). Nothing out of the ordinary birdwise on the way, and I arrived at
      the sewer ponds (excellent directions, BTW) around 2:00. Talked to the
      fellow in the office, and they were saying the duck hadn't been seen in a couple
      of weeks, but he said I was welcome to park outside and walk in if I wanted.
      Seeing the crunch was long over and I was the only one there, I went ahead
      and did that, seeing as the view was clearer from there than from up on the
      hill (for me, anyway).

      The first couple of ponds (with the tarp around them) had a flock of Mew
      Gulls merrily picking something off the surface. A flock of coots had been in
      the bushes until I came close, then the whole convention moved over to the
      pond. The guard geese hissed and flapped their wings at me, but they apparently
      didn't want a confrontation as they gave me a wide berth! There were plenty
      of Blue-winged Teal in those first ponds, as well as some Mallards,
      Ring-necked Ducks, a couple of Bufflehead, and a single Ruddy.

      Things started hopping up the little rise and in the long, grass-lined
      ponds. Lots of female Green-winged Teal were in this one (in addition to the
      other ducks), and a Snowy Egret sat Ed Sullivan-like on the bank. The next pond
      over had more of the same, and as I scanned the bank, I couldn't believe it:
      there was the Baikal about halfway down on the left (with a lady
      Green-winged, I might add :-) ) giving me the looking over! He stayed put long enough
      for several digiscoped shots, and when I leaned in to get another scope view,
      he suddenly wasn't there! He had flown over to the next pond just like that,
      and was out in the middle along with the male Green-winged Teals and several
      Shovelers! What a bird! I hiked down to the end just to see what else was
      in the area, but of course everything else was anticlimactic; had both flavors
      of Butterbutt in the big euc which was interesting and added Acorn and
      Nuttall's Woodpeckers that were calling across the way to the trip list. The Coot
      Convention moved back across the dike en masse again as I walked back, and
      when I reported the bird to the guy in the office he was elated and said, "Are
      you sure?!" (Like there's anything else you could confuse it with...) I
      showed him the picture just to save my honor...

      I have no clue where I'll be birding tomorrow, as the hunt today was a
      success; somewhere between here and Buttonwillow!

      I'm also trying to keep my website updated as I go along; to see the
      pictures from today go to
      (http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/California%202006/Lompoc.htm) , or go to the main page (below) and follow the links to Trip Reports,
      then the California trip at the top of the list. Bird list:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Baikal Teal (LIFER!) Anas formosa
      Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Blue-winged Teal Anas discors
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Ring-necked Duck Aythya collaris
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Mew Gull Larus canus
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      40 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)