generic wigeon question

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2006
      Hi Folks,
      Two questions:

      1)I was looking for a Eurasian Wigeon in a park that has had them in previous winters, but not this winter. One of the male American Wigeons' pate was a very nice, warm buttery buff color. The other males had the requisite bright white pate. Is this color more likely a normal variant, or a possible indicator of some Eurasian Wigeon genes? Otherwise, this bird looked like an American. Sibley shows some buff color, but this bird had the same deep buff color as a Eurasian Wigeon.

      2)Kingbirds: I realize that external chracteristics like bill size and shape are highly plastic, as is plumage color and tail length, but gee, do you really think that Scissor-tailed Flycatcher belongs in the same genus as Thick-billed Kingbird??? Has anybody done any DNA analysis of this genus, preferably mitochondrial??? Having seen the LA County Thick-billed and Scissor-tailed within days of each other really struck me.

      Thomas Miko (Mik? Tam?s)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "I think it likely that one of these statements is a mistake, and the other is a lie." -Mark Twain 1880