Possible American Oystercatcher, Santa Cruz Island

  • Adam Searcy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      Hello all,

      Today on a trip to Santa Cruz Island with Oscar Johnson, Garrett
      Macdonald, and Charlie Wright we had a possible American
      Oystercatcher. The bird was spotted by Charlie in Pelican Bay when
      it flushed with several Black Oystercatchers after a Peregrine Falcon
      flyby. We got closer to the bird for better looks and Oscar obtained
      photographs of the bird on the rocks and in flight (he will post them
      when he has computer access). Unfortunately we had already passed
      the turnaround time to make the boat back to the mainland and our
      observation time was limited.
      We rated the bird using the Jehl scale and fell well within the
      range of American Oystercatcher (34). We remain skeptical (as I'm
      sure the CBRC will be) as to the purity of the bird and more
      observations and photographs would be very helpful. The bird should
      be chaseable, and Island Packers (Island Packers.com) takes regular
      day trips to Santa Cruz for 46$. It is a 5 mile round trip hike to
      Pelican Bay. Good luck if anyone chases the bird,

      Adam Searcy
      Camarillo, CA