carrizo plains

  • ethan greenspan, o.h.b.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      greetings,

      we r nu 2 this site.

      we just back, tonite sunday, jan. 8th, 06', from 3
      days of birding the lower central coast of calif. and
      the carrizo plains.

      we saw the zone-tailed hawk in the hills in back of
      goleta and the fulvous whistling duck at the sewage
      ponds there.

      there were 1000+ long billed curlews and maybe 2000+
      sandhill cranes at soda lake at the carrizo plains.
      wow.

      the 'basic' lodge near there at california valley is
      not fancy but quite pleasant and the owner, kenny, is
      a great guy. $50 a nite. bring a jacket...it was
      cooooold. [805] 475-2363.

      we also saw golden eagles, ferruginous hawks, and the
      usual desert scrub birds.

      good birding.

      ethan and sara greenspan
      kurt ranslem and kathy tardy.