Deep Water Pelagic

  • Don DesJardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      Schedule for 2006 Searcher Pelagic Trips

      This is our first announcement for 2006 "Searcher" birding season.
      We have two 5-day pelagic trips out of San Diego, a spring trip on
      April 26-30, and a late summer excursion on September 4-8. As in
      previous years we'll bird offshore within the extreme southwestern
      corner of the ABA area. We visit the California Channel Islands,
      Point Conception, Rodriquez Dome, San Juan Seamount, Cortez Bank and
      deep water beyond the continental shelf. On our last day, we often
      edge into Mexican waters, so this is an opportunity to add to your
      Mexico list.

      Using the 95-foot live-aboard "Searcher," we bird the outermost
      waters. In spring, the cold waters of the California Current attract
      an interesting array of seabirds on the outside edge where it abuts
      warmer waters. In fall, we search the warmer waters that have moved
      north during the summer for such species as Cook's Petrel, and Least
      Storm-petrel. We limit our trips to 29 passengers and 4 leaders. The
      boat provides 2-4 person cabins, showers, three excellent meals a
      day, plus assorted snacks 24 hours daily.

      Species vary with the seasons but we make special efforts to find
      Pterodroma petrels, albatrosses, and tropicbirds. For two of the past
      three years we have had good looks at multiple Murphy's Petrels
      during the spring trips (10 in 2005, 66 in 2003). Other species
      observed during the spring include Laysan Albatross, Black-footed
      Albatross, Northern Fulmar, Cookileria Petrel (usually at night),
      Pink-footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater, Short-tailed Shearwater,
      Black-vented Shearwater, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel,
      Black Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, Red-necked Phalarope, Red
      Phalarope, Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Long-tailed Jaeger,
      Sabine's Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, Arctic Tern, Common Murre,
      Xantus' Murrelet (scrippsi), Cassin's Auklet, and Rhinoceros Auklet.

      Fall trips have brought us Black-footed Albatross, Cook's Petrel (13
      in 2005), Murphy's Petrel (1 in 2005), Pink-footed Shearwater, Sooty
      Shearwater, Black-vented Shearwater, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Black
      Storm-petrel, Least Storm-petrel, Bulwer's Petrel (1 in 2003), Red-
      billed Tropicbird, Red-tailed Tropicbird (1 in 2003), Red Phalarope,
      Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Long-tailed Jaeger, South Polar
      Skua, Craveri's Murrelet, Xantus' Murrelet (both scrippsi and
      hypoleucus) Cassin's Auklet, and Rhinoceros Auklet.

      We will travel north from San Diego and arrive in the Santa Barbara
      Channel the following morning. After spending a day in the Santa
      Barbara Channel, we overnight at Point Conception, and head out
      towards deep water the following morning. We travel to Rodriguez
      Seamount, San Juan Seamount, and points along and past the
      continental shelf. The exact itinerary will vary based on the
      leaders' and captain's judgments about bird abundance and weather
      conditions.

      An impressive array of marine mammals and fish have been seen on
      these tours. Sperm whale, mesoplodon, ziphius , humpback, blue, fin,
      killer, and other species of whales. Additionally, Bottlenose, long-
      beaked common, short-beaked common, northern right-whale, Risso's,
      Pacific white-sided dolphins and Dall's porpoises are commonly
      sighted. Pinnipeds observed include California Sea-lion, Guadalupe
      fur seal, northern fur seal, northern elephant seal, and harbor seal.

      Additional information and trip lists are at
      http://www.bajawhale.com/birdingtrips.html.

      Date of 2006 trips: April 26-30, September 4-8
      Cost: $850 (includes all food and beverages, excludes crew gratuity).

      For more information on this and future trips, feel free to contact
      me directly, or:

      Searcher Natural History Tours
      2838 Garrison Street
      San Diego, California 92106 USA