Re: [LACoBirds] RFI: Dusky-capped Fly, Fulvous Whistling-Duck, Baltimore Oriole

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2006
      Hi Chuck and Lillian and All,

      I tried on Sunday 1/1/06 for the Fulvous Whistling Duck. It was cold and rainy, and there were lots of other ducks, but no Fuvlous. I only tried from Peck Road south, along the west bank, looking east.

      The "other" Dusky-capped Flycatcher was in Heritage Park, La Verne, this morning, and the Painted Redstart was in its oak tree across the parking lot from bathroom #8 at Bonelli Regional Park. Cheap Eastern European rogue that I am, I parked for free at the Park & Ride, and walked the 200 yards or so into the park from the west. Another birder was very nice in giving me a lift to the north shore (I had forgotten about the Swamp Sparrow and B&W Warbler there, and asked if I could join him), and despite re-reading the email, we couldn't figure out which of the multiple green piers and boat launches and grassy areas (green areas?) have the B&W or the Swamp. Anybody have more specific directions???

      I had the Thick-billed Kingbird on 1/1/06 at Banning Park, Wilmington, but again- no YB Sapsucker. I also checked Harbor Lake for any storm-blown phalaropes or gulls or whatever at the height of the storm, and saw a bunch of Ring-billed and Cal Gulls while getting soaked.

      Two comments:
      1) To me the Painted Redstart sounds rather tanager-like, which makes sense to me in terms of the whole phylogenetic relationship. That's just my subjective opinion without any hard data, DNA, blah blah blah.
      2) The whole county waters border debate is interesting and informative, but to me it also seems nonsensicle. Chief Seattle said "Sell the land? Why not sell the clouds and the sky?!?!" Well, trying to divide up open ocean into geometric patterns that are fair or based on some land-based patterns makes no sense. I live in LA County. How? Because I live on land. I don't float in the ocean. At best you would have refer to the Coast Guard or other maritime authorities to define what the county borders are. Who do you see in a boat 30 miles off shore? The Coast Guard, not the LA or Orange County Sheriffs. I think that the idea of a county having territory on open water is a fantasy. Don't mean to offend anybody. I don't keep county lists. Brian, I tried to write you off-list, but it bounced back.

      >From: Chuck & Lillian <misclists@...>
      >Date: Fri Jan 06 20:00:42 CST 2006
      >To: lacobirds@yahoogroups.com, CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [LACoBirds] RFI: Dusky-capped Fly, Fulvous Whistling-Duck, Baltimore Oriole

      >Does anyone know if any of these birds are still around?
      >Dusky-capped Flycatcher at Rynerson Park in Lakewood
      >Fulvous Whistling-Duck at Santa Gabriel River near Peck Rd.
      >Baltimore Oriole at West LA College
      >They haven't been reported since before the New Year's Day rainstorm.
      >Please excuse the list cross-posting.
      >Chuck Almdale
      >Santa Monica, CA
      >Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
      >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
      >Listowners: mailto:LACoBirds-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
      >Turn off email delivery: mailto:LACoBirds-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      >Resume email delivery: mailto:LACoBirds-normal@yahoogroups.com
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      "I think it likely that one of these statements is a mistake, and the other is a lie." -Mark Twain 1880