Blue Jay in Solano County

  • Robin L. C. Leong
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
      Happy New Year birders,

      On December 19, 2005 during the Benicia CBC, Margaret Barson and Barbara Barter found
      a BLUE JAY in Fairfield. Because of the heavy rains we did not refind the bird for two weeks
      after the count. However, the bird has been seen for the past 3 days. It has been seen in
      the first 1/4 mile of the eastern part of the loop of Willotta Drive in Fairfield. It comes out
      at 9AM has been feeding on various feeders and has been seen in the oak trees and
      telephone wires. Other Western Scrub Jays have been battling with it.

      In order to relieve traffic congestion in the neighborhood it is highly recommended for you
      to park at the Iwama Bldg on Rockville Road across from the Eastern part of the Willotta
      loop and start your search for the species there. The Blue Jay has also been seen in the
      bare trees on the east side of the Iwama Bldg. BTW Try some of their vine ripen kiwis. It is
      delicious and inexpensive.

      Directions, take Hwy 80 exit Suisun Valley Road toward Solano JC. Turn right (East) on
      Rockville Road. Willotta Oaks is the first residential community on the right. Go past the
      Western part of the Willotta Drive loop and take a left into the parking lot at the Iwama
      Bldg. I've obtain permission for you to park there. Walk the first 1/4 mile of the eastern
      loop.Those coming from the North on 80 can get off at the Chadbourne Road off ramp.
      Turn right on to Abernathy to the round about, take a left on to Rockville Road and look
      for the Iwama Bldg on the right.

      Good luck and best birding,
      Robin Leong
      Vallejo
    • KatBirdCA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2006
        Hi birders,

        The Blue Jay was well seen by me and several others birders (Fritz S., et al,
        Todd & Tanner E., John T.) at around noon today (Sat. 1/07/06), just north of
        the bridge on Rockville Rd., east of the Iwama Market. My first encounter
        with the jay was about 20 minutes before the others arrived, when it called from
        the trees along the creek next to the market's parking lot and then flew
        south across the road. After searching the east end of the Willotta loop for a
        while, I headed back to the bridge to discover that the bird had returned to the
        area adjacent to the market, where the other birders were watching it.

        Happy New Year and Good Birding,
        Kathy Robertson
        Hayward, CA