Crested Caracara

  • Oscar Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi all,

      I just received a second hand report of a Crested Caracara at McGrath State Beach in Ventura. It was seen this morning (5 January) in Area 1 of the state beach, from there it flew north towards the Santa Clara River Estuary, where it appeared to land. The observer was Daniel Gant, a ranger with the state parks. He is a begining birder, but he has some familiarity with the species, and he is confident that it was a Caracara. He also obtained photos, which I will try to get a hold of. He also said the bird was unbanded and appeared to wild.

      Good luck.

      Oscar Johnson
      Santa Barbara, CA

    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2006
        Greetings~
        I'm the state park ranger who was fortunate to view the Crested
        Caracara yesterday (1/5) at 10AM. It was perched on top of a pile of
        cleared brush adjacent to a trash can straight out from campsite 44 in
        campground loop 1 at McGrath State Beach. The bird then flew approx
        50 yards away and landed on the sand dunes. After hopping around in
        the sand briefly, it flew again, soaring briefly and giving a good
        view of what looked to be definite adult plumage before descending
        behind some willows lining the Santa Clara River. I had a great look
        at the bird for 5-10 minutes and did not see any bands, tags, or
        jesses. I checked the park again today (1/6), but did not see the
        bird. I've posted two photos in the Raptors folder.

        McGrath State Beach is located just north of the Santa Clara River
        (which separates the cities of Ventura and Oxnard) in Ventura County.
        If you're in the area and wish to look for the bird, please be aware
        that due to recent flood damage, the state PARK IS temporarily CLOSED
        TO ALL VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. Currently, the ONLY way to access the park
        for day use is from Spinnaker Drive off of Harbor Blvd; park at the
        end of Spinnaker once it starts to curve north and go parallel to the
        beach in a parking area known as Surfer's Knoll. Parking is free
        here; walk downcoast on the beach (1/4-1/2 mile) and cross the Santa
        Clara River outflow (the sand bar that caused the park to flood was
        breached during the storms over New Year's but may be forming again
        already). Continue downcoast another 1/4 mile then take one of many
        use paths over the dunes to access the area near the campground where
        the bird was viewed.

        Alternatively, (and ideally) make a reservation
        (www.reserveamerica.com) and spend a night or two camping in this gem
        of a state park. McGrath State Beach is a great camping park with
        great birding along the river and superb coastal dunes & an extensive
        beach. McGrath has no day use facilities other than a small parking
        lot (day use fees are $8/vehicle).

        If anyone views the bird (or any other notable birds/critters), please
        drop me an email at: DGant@...
        Also, if anyone has any questions about Ventura Sector State Parks,
        please feel free to email me.

        ~Daniel Gant
        Carpinteria, CA

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Oscar Johnson <henicorhina@y...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I just received a second hand report of a Crested Caracara at
        McGrath State Beach in Ventura. It was seen this morning (5 January)
        in Area 1 of the state beach, from there it flew north towards the
        Santa Clara River Estuary, where it appeared to land. The observer was
        Daniel Gant, a ranger with the state parks. He is a begining birder,
        but he has some familiarity with the species, and he is confident that
        it was a Caracara. He also obtained photos, which I will try to get a
        hold of. He also said the bird was unbanded and appeared to wild.

        > Good luck.
        >
        > Oscar Johnson
        > Santa Barbara, CA

      • Vic Murayama
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2006
          Pictures of the Crested Caracara that was located in San Ysidro can
          now be viewed on my website at:
          http://vtm.smugmug.com/gallery/1875612/1/94369306.

          Vic Murayama
          Chula Vista, CA
          http://vtm.smugmug.com
        • doug@basiclink.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
            The Crested Caracara was at Dairy Mart Ponds as reported this morning. I
            refound the bird at the IHOP parking lot in the shopping mall parking down
            the road to the east at 7:40 a.m. The directions have been previously
            posted.

            Douglas Aguillard
            San Diego, CA
            doug@...
            http://sdbirds.basiclink.com
          • Jim Roberts
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
              This morning (10/12/06) at 11:15 AM, the CRESTED CARACARA was roosting
              on a snag in the Dairy Mart Ponds (Tijuana River Valley, adjacent to
              Dairy Mart Road).

              Jim Roberts
              University City
              San Diego
            • Ruth Rudesill
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8, 2008
                I just got home from a visit to my relatives in Ft Dick (outside Crescent City, Del Norte Co.) The previously reported Crested Caracara was seen by myself and my sister on July 5th in the am.

                The bird was on Lower Lake Dr near Silva Rd. There is a wildlife pullout overlooking a pond and field ( with American bison and long horned Ethiopian cattle in it!) The caracara was in a snag overlooking the pond and flew over us to land on another snag for good scope views.

                There were a lot of TVs there and maybe there was a dead cow or something nearby....

                My Del Norte list has some really great birds on it so this is a welome addition (years ago saw a Gyrfalcon in almost the same spot!)

                Ruth Rudesill
                Kenwood CA