Smith's update

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hi all,

      Heard the Smith's Longspur this morning but could not get on it. Did see
      the Rufous-backed Robin on two separate visits today. Dusky-capped
      Flycatcher was silent all morning but did finally hear it call several times
      about 2:30pm so it is not Coop food. Three White-winged Scoter were still
      at Salt Creek.

      Craig Hunter and I had a fantastic morning of birding and the quick version
      goes like this.

      0630 - I had a Bobcat on the nature trail at Wister!

      0700 - Met Craig at Salt Creek. Not a Goldeneye of either flavor in sight.
      Saw Red-breasted and Common Merganser, White-winged Scoters.

      0740 - Back at Wister

      0745 - Rufous-backed Robin showed

      0830 - Walking for Longspurs. As we were scanning the concrete ditch we
      heard the Smith's Longspur jump up from a little ways into the field and go
      off with others. Walked out till we got into the longspurs and began
      scanning. Great looks at all but the Smith's.

      noon - One male Ruddy Ground-Dove at Sperry and Eddins then back to Wister.
      The Robin showed about 2:30 or so.

      I birded my way down Davis to Pound and then to English where I had one of
      my greatest birding experiences ever. Got out to walk the public field at
      that corner and about 3pm it started. Blackbirds! Non-stop, endless
      stream, as far as you could see in either direction for one full hour.
      Red-winged and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, European Starlings and Brown-headed
      Cowbirds. A liquid rope of birds. I was born and raised here and have seen
      this many times but NEVER this many for this long. A full hour! Would have
      paid money for a video camera right then. English and Pound, 3pm.

      Had a Ferruginous Hawk at English and Peterson. Had four groups of American
      White Pelicans with about 100 birds in each group fly over Calipatria just
      as the sun set. They were headed for the Salton Sea so do not know if they
      had been at Finney Ramer Lake or had just arrived for the Gulf of
      California.

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER