good (SBRDO Co.) birds

  • D. Heindel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2001
      Hi all,

      I saw a bird I couldn't positively identify Saturday, which

      ought to be checked out. Unfortunately I didn't take a precise

      mileage reading of where I was, but it should be relocatable.

      I've been out of town (and the loop) until now....

      The bird was on Hwy 138 east of I-15, in SBDO Co.. (Yes I

      left the count circle!). From Cajon summit, go east on 138.
      After

      climbing through a windy narrow small canyon, a couple miles

      east of 15 the road straightens out and is a long declining
      straightaway.

      If you reach the Summit Country Store (where adventure passes sold)

      you've gone to far. About a mile or two west of (before) the store
      there

      is a large estate, with a gated drive on the north side of the
      road. The

      road is lined with trees here, and you can't see the house. It is
      the

      only house in the area. There was a very large (Zon) sparrow
      flock

      here, mostly across the street from the estate.

      In the flock one sparrow was something I've never seen before.
      The

      threat of death couldn't make me agree with a BRC that was either

      Clay-colored or (standard) Brewer's. I saw no other Spizella in the
      flock.

      It had a gray unstreaked nape, and a large, long, mostly dark
      bill. The

      back was boldly streaked black on gray. It had a distinct clear

      supercillium. I think the bird was likely a Timberline
      Sparrow.

      So, if anyone can get out there, I would suggest checking it out....

      Other things of interest 11/17 were:

      Swainson's Hawk just north of Mojave River Forks
      Fam.Reg.Pk.

      Imm. male Vermillion Flyc. at Mojave Narows Reg. Pk.

      Swamp Sparrow at Hesperia Lake Park. This was below the lake

      where a small wet ditch drains it. There is a patch of cattails a
      short

      distance north of the lake. This is where it was - with many
      Lincoln's.

      N.Pygmy-Owl: at the north end of the Lake Arrowhead Dam take the

      road to the right (east), 100 yards or so, to a line of trees going
      up

      the hill to the north (left). It was in this tree patch,
      and calling.

      During the incredible Leonid Meteor shower (11/18), just north of

      Lake Arrowhead, (off North Bay Blvd, east of 173) I heard several

      series of calls from both a Saw-Whet Owl, and a W.Screech-Owl.

      Sunday afternoon the Thick-billed Kingbird was present, with

      7 Cassin's, at Cal Poly Pomona, Lot J Eucs.

      happy hunting

      Mitch

      Mitch Heindel

      birdfish@...