Re: FW: [slocobirding] Baikal Teal (SBCo) Update

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
      Hi all,
      I agree with Bruce and his suggestion about dabbling duck males going
      into eclipse plumage in early summer. Check out this link on
      Surfbirds about a Baikal that showed up in Minsmere,
      Suffolk:http://www.surfbirds.com/Rarities/baikal1201.html. According
      to the site asian Anas sp. actually go into eclipse plumage up to
      four weeks later than their Eurasian counterparts. The Baikal on this
      site actually showed up around the same time and from the pictures
      seems to be in similar plumage as the Santa Barbara bird. So it's
      possible that, if the Santa Barbara BATE hangs out, we might be able
      to witness go into its even more impressive alternate plumage. What a
      killer bird; I hope I get to see it!!Enjoy!!!

      Rob Fowler
      Arcata, CA

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Deuel" <bdeuel@d...> wrote:

      > Greetings all,
      > Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse
      plumage, I respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into
      eclipse in early-mid summer as soon as they finish breeding
      activity. This bird is either a young bird still molting into
      alternate plumage or an adult still coming out of eclipse. Most
      dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some can be very
      late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is
      doing the same thing.

      > Cheers,
      > Bruce Deuel
      > Redding

      > Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the
      San Luis

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
        Yes, Bruce is exactly right on the plumage sequence--my brain-fade.

        Brad Schram
        Arroyo Grande

        > Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse plumage, I
        respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into eclipse in early-mid
        summer as soon as they finish breeding activity. This bird is either a
        young bird still molting into alternate plumage or an adult still coming out
        of eclipse. Most dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some
        can be very late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is
        doing the same thing.

        > Cheers,
        > Bruce Deuel
        > Redding

        > Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the San Luis
        > Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for people
        > coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact directions in
        > regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.
        >
        > Dave Compton
        > Santa Barbara

        Service.

        these addresses: