Re: [CALBIRDS] FW: [slocobirding] Baikal Teal (SBCo) Update

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
      Greetings all,
      Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse plumage, I respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into eclipse in early-mid summer as soon as they finish breeding activity. This bird is either a young bird still molting into alternate plumage or an adult still coming out of eclipse. Most dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some can be very late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is doing the same thing.

      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Redding

      >>> "Dave Compton" <davcompton@...> 12/10/2005 5:27 PM >>>
      Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the San Luis
      Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for people
      coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact directions in
      regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.

      Dave Compton
      Santa Barbara
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
        Hi all,
        I agree with Bruce and his suggestion about dabbling duck males going
        into eclipse plumage in early summer. Check out this link on
        Surfbirds about a Baikal that showed up in Minsmere,
        Suffolk:http://www.surfbirds.com/Rarities/baikal1201.html. According
        to the site asian Anas sp. actually go into eclipse plumage up to
        four weeks later than their Eurasian counterparts. The Baikal on this
        site actually showed up around the same time and from the pictures
        seems to be in similar plumage as the Santa Barbara bird. So it's
        possible that, if the Santa Barbara BATE hangs out, we might be able
        to witness go into its even more impressive alternate plumage. What a
        killer bird; I hope I get to see it!!Enjoy!!!

        Rob Fowler
        Arcata, CA

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Deuel" <bdeuel@d...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        > Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse
        plumage, I respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into
        eclipse in early-mid summer as soon as they finish breeding
        activity. This bird is either a young bird still molting into
        alternate plumage or an adult still coming out of eclipse. Most
        dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some can be very
        late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is
        doing the same thing.

        > Cheers,
        > Bruce Deuel
        > Redding

        > Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the
        San Luis
        > Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for
        people
        > coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact
        directions in
        > regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.
        >
        > Dave Compton
        > Santa Barbara

        Service.

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
        email to these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brad Schram
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
          Yes, Bruce is exactly right on the plumage sequence--my brain-fade.

          Brad Schram
          Arroyo Grande

          > Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse plumage, I
          respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into eclipse in early-mid
          summer as soon as they finish breeding activity. This bird is either a
          young bird still molting into alternate plumage or an adult still coming out
          of eclipse. Most dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some
          can be very late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is
          doing the same thing.

          > Cheers,
          > Bruce Deuel
          > Redding

          > Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the San Luis
          > Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for people
          > coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact directions in
          > regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.
          >
          > Dave Compton
          > Santa Barbara

          Service.

          these addresses: