3 Baikal Teal photos, Lompoc CA

  • vireoman2004
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2005
      I posted into the Waterfowl folder in Photos link (to left of messages) 3 shots
      of the male BAIKAL TEAL near Lompoc. They were made through a cheaper
      scope with Nikon D70 attached. I will try to do something better with some
      more distant flight shots made with telephoto later this evening and post
      when I can. The scope's optics are not "high end", and turned everything
      muddy and browner (even despite the setting sun angle adding reddish tint),
      but there is no mistaking the species, if it is indeed determined to be "pure".
      Distances, as Dave Compton warned, were about a hundred yards, and my
      photos were equivalent to 36x plus blowing up the center of the image.
      Those with high end scopes and superior optics will, no doubt, do far better, if
      they also can attach an SLR. Or, anyone with 1000mm lens should do far
      better! Good Luck.

      Thanks to Wes Fritz for finding the bird, and especially to Dan Finney, the
      Mission Hills Plant Manager, for letting us stay as late as we could, without
      which I could not have got these mediocre shots, and a couple of dozen
      birders would have been frustrated...

      Jim Greaves
      Santa Barbara