FW: [slocobirding] Baikal Teal (SBCo) Update

  • Dave Compton
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2005
      Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the San Luis
      Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for people
      coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact directions in
      regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.

      Dave Compton
      Santa Barbara
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
        Greetings all,
        Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse plumage, I respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into eclipse in early-mid summer as soon as they finish breeding activity. This bird is either a young bird still molting into alternate plumage or an adult still coming out of eclipse. Most dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some can be very late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is doing the same thing.

        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Redding

        >>> "Dave Compton" <davcompton@...> 12/10/2005 5:27 PM >>>
        Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the San Luis
        Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for people
        coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact directions in
        regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.

        Dave Compton
        Santa Barbara
        For those of you not on the SB listserve I update you on the Baikal Teal in
        the Lompoc Valley. A bird of this rarity deserves a little latitude on the
        neighboring county listserve.

        First--it is, indeed, a genuine drake Baikal Teal, starting to molt into
        eclipse plumage--but the head/face is in almost full alternate plumage.
        There are no leg bands; it's wary and flies well.

        Second--updated directions: The Mission Hills Water Treatment Plant will be
        open tomorrow morning from 10AM to 11:30-12:00. The plant is NOT normally
        open for birders. To get there....take Hwy 1 south past the entrance to
        Vandenberg Airforce Base. A few miles south of the base entrance turnoff on
        Constellation, turning left on Constellation back under Hwy 1; drive until
        you come to Burton Mesa, turning right at the stop sign at that
        intersection. Follow Burton Mesa for a few miles. When you come to the
        intersection with Rucker Rd., also a stop sign, you are a few hundred yards
        from the treatment plant turnoff. Continue on Burton Mesa downhill, looking
        for Calle Quarto on the right. Shortly after Calle Quarto on the right
        there is an obscure, narrow driveway--the first driveway after Calle Qrto.
        Turn in here and follow it to the chain link fence at the plant, turning in
        through the gate and parking.

        If you can't get there for the brief opening tomorrow, you can continue past
        the gate and park where practical. Walk up the hill to the right that
        parallels the plant, finding vantage points from which to scope the settling
        ponds.

        The bird seemed to favor the first unlined pond closest to the admin.
        center, but could be anywhere on the ponds. It often gets out of the water,
        walking up the bank amongst the greenery to preen. It hangs around with
        other ducks.

        Brad Schram
        Arroyo Grande

        Message archives and group home page can be found at:

        Birding binoculars
        San luis obispo county realtor San luis obispo county San luis
        obispo county ca

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Rob Fowler
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
          Hi all,
          I agree with Bruce and his suggestion about dabbling duck males going
          into eclipse plumage in early summer. Check out this link on
          Surfbirds about a Baikal that showed up in Minsmere,
          Suffolk:http://www.surfbirds.com/Rarities/baikal1201.html. According
          to the site asian Anas sp. actually go into eclipse plumage up to
          four weeks later than their Eurasian counterparts. The Baikal on this
          site actually showed up around the same time and from the pictures
          seems to be in similar plumage as the Santa Barbara bird. So it's
          possible that, if the Santa Barbara BATE hangs out, we might be able
          to witness go into its even more impressive alternate plumage. What a
          killer bird; I hope I get to see it!!Enjoy!!!

          Rob Fowler
          Arcata, CA

          --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Deuel" <bdeuel@d...> wrote:

          > Greetings all,
          > Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse
          plumage, I respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into
          eclipse in early-mid summer as soon as they finish breeding
          activity. This bird is either a young bird still molting into
          alternate plumage or an adult still coming out of eclipse. Most
          dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some can be very
          late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is
          doing the same thing.

          > Cheers,
          > Bruce Deuel
          > Redding

          > Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the
          San Luis
          > Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for
          people
          > coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact
          directions in
          > regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.
          >
          > Dave Compton
          > Santa Barbara

          Service.

          Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
          email to these addresses:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Brad Schram
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
            Yes, Bruce is exactly right on the plumage sequence--my brain-fade.

            Brad Schram
            Arroyo Grande

            > Regarding the suggestion that this bird is molting into eclipse plumage, I
            respectfully submit that dabbling duck males go into eclipse in early-mid
            summer as soon as they finish breeding activity. This bird is either a
            young bird still molting into alternate plumage or an adult still coming out
            of eclipse. Most dabblers should have finished this molt by now, but some
            can be very late - note the shoveler in Jim Greaves' third picture, which is
            doing the same thing.

            > Cheers,
            > Bruce Deuel
            > Redding

            > Here is some more Baikal Teal info, posted by Brad Schram on the San Luis
            > Obispo County email list. It includes some alternate directions for people
            > coming from the north along the coast, and some more exact directions in
            > regard to finding the plant once you hit Burton Mesa Rd.
            >
            > Dave Compton
            > Santa Barbara

            Service.

            these addresses: