Fw: [SDBIRDS] Thick-billed Kingbird present Friday PM

  • marjorie hastings
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      Forwarded
      Marjorie Hastings
      Spring Valley,CA.
      mhast27@...

      I not only believe in miracles.
      I depend on them.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "akamauro" <akamauro@...>
      To: <SDBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 3:59 PM
      Subject: [SDBIRDS] Thick-billed Kingbird present Friday PM

      > I arrived at Hernandez' Hideaway just after 2pm Friday afternoon (must
      have just missed Phil). After searching for about 10 minutes along the road
      and around the restaurant, I walked down the dirt trail leading off toward
      the lake. About 200 feet down the trail I came to a wash, where there was a
      nice view over to the flowering Eucalyptus tree (large patch of creamy
      yellow flowers) about 100 feet off to east. (You can see the flowering tree
      from the dirt parking lot.) The Kingbird appeared within minutes, flying to
      a perch in the dead branches of a willow tree about 25 feet from the trail.
      There it proceeded to eat the bee it had just caught, cleaned its bill on
      the branch for awhile, and did a little preening. It made another foray
      over to its bee tree, but quickly came back to its perch. Excellent light,
      great looks front and back. It was still perched there when I finally left
      about 15 minutes later. Looks good for the weekend birders!