Re: [CALBIRDS] shape-shifting flocks

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
      Years ago on my first trip to Texas (back in the 70s) I witnessed a huge
      mixed flock of blackbirds at Laguna Atascosa NWR that was literally carpeting
      the auto tour road in between "lifts". I crawled into the middle of it and
      turned off the engine just to listen and experience it; it was almost like being
      in Hitchcock's movie!

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

      In a message dated 12/1/2005 12:11:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      shampton@... writes:

      Last week I witnessed an enormous flock of Starlings flying north at sunset
      over I-80 over the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area (between Sacramento and Davis).
      I estimated the flock to be about a ½ mile long and averaged about 300 yards
      wide. Given their tight formation, if the birds were about 2 ft apart from
      each other (say, 1 bird every 4 sq ft), there would have been about 600,000
      birds in this flock. They may have been tighter, and thus my estimate would
      be low.