Re: [CALBIRDS] shape-shifting flocks

  • Rusty Scalf
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      People who model this sort of behavior view it as an 'emergent'
      property, from a fairly simple set of basic behaviors followed by each
      member of the flock (or school).

      See: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/

      Rusty Scalf

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • MiriamEagl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
        Years ago on my first trip to Texas (back in the 70s) I witnessed a huge
        mixed flock of blackbirds at Laguna Atascosa NWR that was literally carpeting
        the auto tour road in between "lifts". I crawled into the middle of it and
        turned off the engine just to listen and experience it; it was almost like being
        in Hitchcock's movie!

        Mary Beth Stowe
        San Diego, CA
        MiriamEagl@...
        _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

        In a message dated 12/1/2005 12:11:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        shampton@... writes:

        Last week I witnessed an enormous flock of Starlings flying north at sunset
        over I-80 over the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area (between Sacramento and Davis).
        I estimated the flock to be about a ½ mile long and averaged about 300 yards
        wide. Given their tight formation, if the birds were about 2 ft apart from
        each other (say, 1 bird every 4 sq ft), there would have been about 600,000
        birds in this flock. They may have been tighter, and thus my estimate would
        be low.