Re: [CALBIRDS] shape-shifting flocks

  • Nathaniel Wander
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      I have seen huge clouds of blackbirds behave like this in late fall and
      winter, always over farm fields in Polk County, Oregon, which structurally
      and functionally resembles California's central farming valleys.

      Nathaniel
    • Rusty Scalf
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        People who model this sort of behavior view it as an 'emergent'
        property, from a fairly simple set of basic behaviors followed by each
        member of the flock (or school).

        See: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/

        Rusty Scalf

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • MiriamEagl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
          Years ago on my first trip to Texas (back in the 70s) I witnessed a huge
          mixed flock of blackbirds at Laguna Atascosa NWR that was literally carpeting
          the auto tour road in between "lifts". I crawled into the middle of it and
          turned off the engine just to listen and experience it; it was almost like being
          in Hitchcock's movie!

          Mary Beth Stowe
          San Diego, CA
          MiriamEagl@...
          _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

          In a message dated 12/1/2005 12:11:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          shampton@... writes:

          Last week I witnessed an enormous flock of Starlings flying north at sunset
          over I-80 over the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area (between Sacramento and Davis).
          I estimated the flock to be about a ½ mile long and averaged about 300 yards
          wide. Given their tight formation, if the birds were about 2 ft apart from
          each other (say, 1 bird every 4 sq ft), there would have been about 600,000
          birds in this flock. They may have been tighter, and thus my estimate would
          be low.