Re: [CALBIRDS] shape-shifting flocks

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      Last week I witnessed an enormous flock of Starlings flying north at sunset over I-80 over the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area (between Sacramento and Davis). I estimated the flock to be about a ½ mile long and averaged about 300 yards wide. Given their tight formation, if the birds were about 2 ft apart from each other (say, 1 bird every 4 sq ft), there would have been about 600,000 birds in this flock. They may have been tighter, and thus my estimate would be low.

      Steve Hampton
      ________________
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response
      California Dept of Fish and Game
      PO Box 944209
      Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
      -----------------------------------
      (916) 323-4724 phone
      (916) 324-8829 fax

      >>> "Debbie Viess" <amanitarita@...> 12/1/2005 11:47 AM >>>
      Driving home from Mendocino this past weekend, along Hwy. 101, just
      south of Healdsburg, my husband David and I saw an amazing sight. Flying
      over the vineyards and distant low hills in the Dry Creek area to the
      east were huge flocks of something. I say "something" because at first,
      it wasn't apparent what the flocks were composed of (insects? birds?
      confused bats?). What drew our eye was the way that the flocks formed
      and shifted, causing visibly recognizable shapes to appear, like a
      tadpole, and other weird geometric forms. This was both a little freaky,
      and a whole lot of amazing. In fact, it was so cool that we got off the
      freeway and found a frontage road, to try and get a better picture of
      the flock composition, and just to better groove on the amazing visuals.
      We found our flock, and it was composed of thousands of birds, but they
      were still too far away to get a species ID. My take on them was that
      they were blackbirds.the general size and shape were correct, as well as
      their agricultural location; flying blackbirds have always reminded me
      of mobile pluses and minuses, with their wing and body lengths about
      equal to the eye, and this flock exhibited those traits. But wow, what
      an amazing display of "flock consciousness". I have never seen anything
      quite like it.

      Once again, I am awed and humbled by my brush with the mysteries of
      nature.

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, CA

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Nathaniel Wander
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        I have seen huge clouds of blackbirds behave like this in late fall and
        winter, always over farm fields in Polk County, Oregon, which structurally
        and functionally resembles California's central farming valleys.

        Nathaniel
      • Rusty Scalf
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          People who model this sort of behavior view it as an 'emergent'
          property, from a fairly simple set of basic behaviors followed by each
          member of the flock (or school).

          See: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/

          Rusty Scalf

          __________________________________
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • MiriamEagl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
            Years ago on my first trip to Texas (back in the 70s) I witnessed a huge
            mixed flock of blackbirds at Laguna Atascosa NWR that was literally carpeting
            the auto tour road in between "lifts". I crawled into the middle of it and
            turned off the engine just to listen and experience it; it was almost like being
            in Hitchcock's movie!

            Mary Beth Stowe
            San Diego, CA
            MiriamEagl@...