San Fran Bell's Vireo page uploaded

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2005
      Sorry for cross-posting (delete redundancies).

      As promised, I made a web page (below) with some BELL'S VIREO photos
      we made in Golden Gate Park on Monday (21 Nov 2005). I hope these are
      useful for confirming its ID as that of V. b. bellii... It was in the
      McClaren Rhododendron Dell as earlier described (on CALBIRDS); a map
      is posted at that site's Files folder (or I can email on request),
      and is labelled GoldenGateParkBEVI.

      The bird foraged probably 90 percent of time below 4 feet (often to
      ground among the Oenothera stalks)...

      As described by others, the bird had:
      - short tail (probably 10+mm [nearly half inch] shorter than LBVI,
      which is about 50-55 mm);
      - larger bill (longer and taller than LBVI) which is also a pale
      fleshy-color (compared to dark blue-gray in LBVI);
      - much brighter and more extensive yellow on flanks; and,
      - extensive greenish on back.

      Behavior was much like a kinglet with wing-flipping; tail wagging was
      not so much side to side like Least, but more up and down, and not as
      rapid. Thus, while LBVI wags its tail a lot, like gnatcatcher, BEVI
      flips its wings like kinglet, and in general appearance could easily
      be mistaken for one!

      Finally, the first photo on my link shows the vireo as somewhat
      tanager-like in profile, due mostly to short tail and large bill...

      http://mysite.verizon.net/res1uzgs/Bells_Vireo.html

      Happy Traill's!

      Jim Greaves
      Santa Barbara CA