Trumpeter Swan

  • James F. Holmes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
      I know this might be hard to believe but as I walked out to work tonight,
      going overhead was the classic call of a Trumpeter Swan in with a few Tundra
      Swans. I watched the flock of 11 birds fly dircetly over my house (off of U
      Street in Sacramento) and to the west.

      Beyond the fact that it is very rare, I would assume that this is also very
      early?

      Jim Holmes
      Sacramento, CA
    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
        Hi,
        I was waiting for someone else who was on the boat yesterday to say something: in this flock of appr. 100 Tundra Swans there was this one adult swan that was a big monster. We did not succeed in photographing it, but this adult bird appeared to be and several others to be an adult Trumpeter. That's what I am putting in my birding diary. If more details needed, please call my cell (I am at work tonight (Saturday).
        Tom

        Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

        thomas.miko@...
        thomas_miko@...

        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        U.S.A.
        34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

        home: (909) 445-1456
        cell: (626) 390-1935
        work: (323) 226-7855

        "Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone."-Doyle Brunson
      • QuiAvisPetit@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
          Tom and others,
          Myself and several other birders such as Joan Humphrey, Rob Fowler, Kerry
          Ross, and Dan Singer paid close attention to this swan. None of us saw any
          field mark that supported Trumpeter Swan. The bill shape to me supported Tundra
          Swan. The looks were distant. The only thing that caught our attention was
          that it seemed larger than the Tundras around it. Nothing makes me believe it
          or any swans around it were anything other than Tundra Swans.

          Daryl Coldren
          Arcata

          _thomas.miko@..._ (mailto:thomas.miko@...)
          _thomas_miko@thomas_miko_ (mailto:thomas_miko@...)

          653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
          Claremont, CA 91711
          U.S.A.
          34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

          home: (909) 445-1456
          cell: (626) 390-1935
          work: (323) 226-7855

          "Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone."-Doyle Brunson

        • sailorgirlinconecticut
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 25, 2012
            Butte County, on Hwy 162 closer to Willows right next to the rice plant, was a Trumpeter Swan about 2 pm today

            photo
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/babyorca/8218467475/in/photostream

            Nicole Perkins
            Redding California
          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2016

              2/13/16 5:00 pm

              I haven't seen the post on CALBIRDS so I wanted to inform county listers and/or interested parties that there is a Trumpeter Swan at the mouth of Brush Creek in Manchester, CA (Mendocino County) along with over a hundred Tundra Swans. This is the first confirmed county record. Check out the posts on Mendobirds for instructions (specifically the message from Bob Keifer). here's a link. Steve Stump, Upper Lake, CA

               Mendobirds

            • Dave Weber
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21, 2016
                The Trumpeter Swan continued at Lake Solano on the Yolo/Solano county line this morning at 7am Mar 21. It was on the Yolo county side, seen from Putah Creek Rd about one third mile max west of the dam.

                Dave Weber,
                Milpitas
                by phone