[Admin] Opt out of Web Beacons on Yahoo

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2005
      Hi Calbirders,

      Member Kay Loughlin reminded us of this Yahoo spam technique that we
      first wrote about a couple of years ago. Many people have joined
      Yahoo birding groups since then and may not know of this:

      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
      Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
      are going - similar to cookies. But they're NOT cookies;
      disallowing cookies won't stop 'em.

      Yahoo is recording every website and every group you visit. If you
      would like to opt out of their tracking system, here's how to do it:

      1 Go to http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy
      2 In the column on the left side, under the title of "Special
      Topics," click "cookies".
      3 At the bottom of this new page you will see a link that says "Click
      here." Click that.
      4 On that new page click the phrase "web beacon". That will bring you
      to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."
      5 In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link. Click it.

      Then STOP! What would normally be a confirmation button on the next
      page will opt you back in.

      Good birding,
      Steve Sosensky
      Toluca Lake, CA 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
      email to these addresses: