Sprague's pipits Calipatria. Imperial Co. !

  • herman_vanoosten
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2005
      Hey!

      Went to the Salton Sea last friday with a rental to try for
      Longspurs near the Calipatria 'State
      Prison' -> took from the 111 in Cal the Eddins east, then Blair
      north till Hoober -> Hoober east. Stopped the car at the second
      field east of the prison since there was a small bridge/dam so that
      I could cross the concrete walled stream. In this field I found at
      least 2 but very likely 3 SPRAGUE'S PIPITS! Birds were very
      distinctive with their call and indeed, their behavior: flushed a
      couple of yards in fron tof me, flying high away -calling meanwhile-
      and then land quite close. Had one ind. on the ground in the scope -
      all characters well seen. Flight is remarkable different from Am
      pipit (beware! also two in the same dry field!): really a 'good' and
      strong flight, very different from the fluttering flight of American
      pipit (and, in the Old World, of Meadow pipit) -reminded me of the
      Wagtail flight.

      I am pretty sure that I had three individuals, but two for sure!

      No Longspurs, hardly any Shorelarks.

      Near the Unit One on Vendel I had a very obliging and fine
      Aleutian Canada goose -> bird was among 1000's Ross and Snowgeese ->
      well observed! Size of Ross' goose: head was fairly blocky which is
      supposedly good for Aleutian but not for Cackling. White ring below
      the black on the neck. Nice!

      Ok, that's all folks,

      Herman van Oosten, Riverside.