Fwd: RE: [sbcobirding] wood thrush errata in my last message

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2005
      Regarding my caution about the Wood Thrush, proceed to Santa Maria!
      Apparently this is only the 20th record of Wood Thrush in the state
      -- and it IS a beautiful bird. I apologize for any angst my caution
      earlier this afternoon may have caused.

      >Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:28:39 -0800
      >From: "Dave Compton" <davcompton@...>
      >Subject: RE: [sbcobirding] wood thrush errata in my last message
      >
      >No controversy about whether the Wood Thrush was there today. Patrick
      >McNulty called me from Santa Maria as he was watching it at 1:50pm. Bill
      >Bouton reported on the SLO County list that it was present for at least a
      >couple of hours, from about 1pm to about 3pm, and probably longer.
      >Presumably, this means he left at 3pm. That's the latest report I have.
      >
      >Dave Compton
      >Santa Barbara

    • Nathaniel Wander
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2005
        Given what's know about the coastal geography, wind patterns, recent
        weather, etc., what is the likelihood that the Santa Maria Wood Thrush is
        the same bird seen in San Francisco on October 20? Is that any more or
        less likely than the appearance of two different birds less than 300 miles
        apart along the California coast within three weeks?

        Also, any thoughts about how a Wood Thrush would get to coastal
        California? (Yes, I know, practice.) We seem so far off their migration
        routes.

        Thanks.

        Nathaniel Wander
        San Francisco