S. F. Bell's Vireo continues

  • Dennis Braddy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2005
      Birders,

      The previously reported (mostly on SFBIRDS) BELL'S VIREO continued at
      McLaren Rhododendron Dell in Golden Gate Park this morning, 11/5/05.
      Although we heard the vireo sing several times, it took two and a
      half hours of birding the dell before we finally got good looks. It's
      legs appeared bright blue and when it flicked its wings the tail shot
      straight down. Both of these characteristics are apparently
      consistent with previously noted features (particularly the extensive
      yellow coloration on the flanks, belly, and undertail coverts)
      suggestive of the Eastern subspecies.

      Dennis and Patricia Braddy
      San Ramon
      Contra Costa County
    • Richard Cimino
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2005
        Today Sunday in Golden Gate Park approximately 2:15 PM the BELL'S VIREO
        was present with the mixed flock of Sparrow's and Goldfinches.
        When I arrive in the Rhododendron Dell, Michele a S.F. resident told me
        she had seen the bird earlier near the wooden bench along the trail.
        But Chip notes were filling the air some fifty feet away on a small
        knoll, so I followed the flock.
        It wasn't soon after finding this flock of many mixed sparrows and
        finches that the BELL VIREO was found on top of a dead plant,
        then it dropped to the ground as Michele returned and had a second
        chance to view the VIREO.
        The bird was very active and cooperative during a minute or longer
        period of time as close as 10 feet away.
        Rich Cimino
        ABA Member
        Pleasanton Cal.94566
        The previously reported (mostly on SFBIRDS) BELL'S VIREO continued at
        McLaren Rhododendron Dell in Golden Gate Park this morning, 11/5/05.
        Although we heard the vireo sing several times, it took two and a
        half hours of birding the dell before we finally got good looks. It's
        legs appeared bright blue and when it flicked its wings the tail shot
        straight down. Both of these characteristics are apparently
        consistent with previously noted features (particularly the extensive
        yellow coloration on the flanks, belly, and undertail coverts)
        suggestive of the Eastern subspecies.

        Dennis and Patricia Braddy
        San Ramon
        Contra Costa County

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses:

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "CALBIRDS