Coastal Route (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi, all!

      Birded the coast today, starting at the Dairy Mart Ponds and the Sod Farms.
      They had indeed cleared away the brush, and you get a great view of the
      ponds now! A Red-tailed Hawk was sunning (even though there wasn't any sun), and
      when I approached he flew to the other side of the pond and took up
      "sunning" there as well! Nothing was at the farms except a few Killdeer and American
      Pipits (at least that I could see). A White-tailed Kite hunting near the
      border was nice, and picked up a lot of dickey birds by cruising the dirt road
      south of the ponds (dipped on the magpie jays, tho...) The hawk meanwhile
      had returned and was sunning again!

      Headed over to McCoy Trail after that, where the Clapper Rails dutifully
      clapped, but the photo ops were great, with two young Snowy Egrets posing on the
      bridge, and a Marsh Wren hopping out on the railing! (I was very happy to
      replace the Klamath photo on the Marsh Wren page with something local...) A
      huge flock of American Goldfinches bounced in as well and disappeared among
      the mustard (I guess that's what that tall weedy stuff is along the trail)!

      The Pond at 7th Street was stuffed with Willets and Godwits, and way on the
      other bank the Reddish Egret was gyrating amongst more shorebirds. Met
      "Dave" (I'm terrible with last names--sorry!) along here walking his cocker
      spaniel, and as we chatted the egret flew over to the main lagoon where everyone
      and their brother was engaged in a feeding frenzy, and he obviously didn't want
      to miss out! He (Dave) was trying out those new bins that have the built-in
      digital camera, so I'll be anxious to hear how that worked! The dike across
      the way was covered with skimmers and Elegant Terns, that were quiet for
      once! A lone Brant was interesting as well.

      Headed over to Cabrillo NM after that, where I headed down to the tidepools
      first and stopped at all the overlooks. The tide was really in and waves
      were crashing against the rocks; very picturesque! But did manage to pick up a
      Wandering Tattler and several Black Turnstones, in addition to the usual
      gulls and cormorants. Up at The Drip ran into Guy and Joe and a couple of other
      fellows I didn't know (I should have risked embarrassment and just introduced
      myself...) and learned I probably should have come there first: the Brown
      Thrasher had been leisurely taking a bath, and left just as I came up!
      Fortunately you could still see him back in the bushes preening himself, but he
      never gave another show; just Whiteys, a single Goldie, and several Hermit
      Thrushes came after that. Guy and I poked around the bushes a little, but the
      thrasher stayed hidden, so we parted company as he had to get back to work and I
      wanted to move on! On the way back to the car I heard a racket and noticed a
      Peregrine bombing a young Redtail!

      Fiesta Island was a bust because it was mid-day; I was hoping to get the
      Horned Larks, but now I know to hit that place first thing in the morning if I'm
      going to include it in a big route. Headed up to Torrey Pines and did the
      extension trail, where I at least picked up Spotted Towhee and California Gnat
      for the day. Decided to hike all the way up to the overlook (it was only a
      15 minute hike from the trailhead) and ran into a couple of lady artists!

      Did the loop at the visitor's center at San Elijo and ran into more artists;
      I was wondering if there was a class going on with all these artists
      scattered around, but I guess they were just all out taking advantage of the
      beautiful weather! Had whinnying Soras in the reeds, but no Virginia Rails this
      time; they've extended that trail since I was there last, and you can now truly
      hike in a loop without having to walk along the road now! Finished up with a
      nice walk along Bataquitos Lagoon and a pair of very cooperative California
      Gnatcatchers!

      Headed home after that with 95 species for the day. Bird list:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Brandt's Cormorant Phalacrocorax penicillatus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
      Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax
      Brant Branta bernicla
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Redhead Aythya americana
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Red-breasted Merganser Mergus serrator
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus
      Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris
      Sora Porzana carolina
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa
      Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus
      Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularia
      Wandering Tattler Heterosceles incanus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Black Turnstone Arenaria melanocephala
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Heermann's Gull Larus heermanni
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Elegant Tern Sterna elegans
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri
      Black Skimmer Rynchops niger
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      American Pipit Anthus rubescens
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      Brown Thrasher Toxostoma rufum
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      California Gnatcatcher Polioptila californica
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      American Goldfinch Carduelis tristis
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah (Belding's) Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Golden-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia atricapilla
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

      95 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA