PRWA-new species to science

  • Andrew Howe
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2005
      Last week, according to a local birding group, a
      "PRWA" was discovered in Oceano. I was amazed at how
      little press was generated by the discovery of a new
      bird species in the ABA area. Details are still
      sketchy as to which family this species belongs to (is
      it a wagtail or a warbler?), but it apparently looks
      shockingly similar to a Prothonotary Warbler (PROW).

      All joking aside, Mr. Wander's suggestion certainly
      solves confusion WITHIN a given article or post;
      however, there is still the problem of perpetuating
      inaccurate information and re-inforcing it in a public
      forum. Personally, I leave abbreviations for those
      who band birds.

      Andrew Howe
      Riverside, CA

      From: Nathaniel Wander <nw105@...>
      Date: Sun Oct 9, 2005  10:55 am
      Subject: Abbreviations

      There is a simple convention in published writing,
      that permits useful abbreviations while preventing
      confusion. The first time a name appears in the text
      it's fully spelled out with the abbreviation in
      parentheses. Obviously, if the name is only going to
      appear once, there's no need to abbreviate it.