Re: [CALBIRDS] YBMP in Davis

  • Kenneth Burton
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2005
      Just to set the record straight, the correct code for Yellow-billed Magpie is YBMA, not YBMP. I think it's fine to get into the habit of using the codes, but if they're not correct no one can search for them in the archives. If you would like to use codes but are unsure of what they are, they are listed at http://www.birdpop.org/AlphaCodes.htm.

      Ken Burton
      McKinleyville
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2005
        When anyone lists a web site like that below for the Alpha Codes,
        PLEASE refrain from ending the sentence with an underlined period!
        URL's are touchy and the web search engines try to find an "htm.",
        rather than "htm"! Thanks.

      • Debbie Viess
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
          This weekend I was up at Yuba Pass for an SFSU mushroom foray, and
          couldn't resist a pass through the Sierra Valley to see what birds were
          still around.
          Although the birdlife was nowhere near the height of the summer
          spectacle, there were still plenty of wildlife wonders to observe. Once
          we started driving along the (newly?) wash-boarded dirt road, our
          greeter birds were horned larks, perched attractively upon the
          fence-posts. Meadowlarks flitted here and there. We saw two merlin flash
          by, and then, a little ways along the road, a third, although perhaps it
          was one of the original two. There were lots of huge, dark raptors, most
          of which turned out to be redtails. One hulking hawk, on the ground and
          close by the road, was an unmistakable, light-phase ferruginous hawk.
          After a bit it flew off, and coursed slowly along, just a few feet off
          of the ground. Sweet. But the best sighting, by far, was a loose flock
          of 46+ sandhill cranes. There was one obvious family group (vigilant
          male, and Mom and juvenile), but the rest appeared to be in their more
          convivial winter flocking mode. Sierra Valley is not large enough to
          support 15+ breeding pairs, so I imagine that most of these birds were
          in transit to their wintering grounds. All of the birds were foraging in
          a freshly mowed agricultural field.

          The next day, we were combing the woods at Yuba Pass for our fungal
          friends. It was a bit dry for mushrooms, but just dandy for birds. I was
          surrounded by a splendid, mountain-flavored mixed species flock,
          composed of evening grosbeaks, purple finches, mountain chickadees and a
          handsome, male white-headed woodpecker, the crimson of his crown
          contrasting nicely with the white of his head. Creepers, white-breasted
          nuthatches and a couple of lingering yellow-rumped warblers completed
          the mix.

          As an addendum to the recent postings of yellow-billed magpies in the
          Sacramento Valley, we saw six birds fly over the road as we drove past
          Davis. Seems
          like these dramatically beautiful corvids may be down, but not out.

          Debbie Viess
          Oakland, CA