Mississippi Kite

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
      Hi all,
      Jim Gain reported on the Northern California RBA this
      morning that the Mississippi Kite, previously found by
      Mike San Miguel, was refound this morning in Tulare
      County. Directions on the rba at 415-681-7422.
      Steve Glover
      Dublin
    • Jim Gain
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
        Mike Cummins and I headed down to look for the Mississippi Kite reported a
        couple of days ago. From Hwy 43 south of Corcoran we turned east onto a dirt
        road that runs along the north side of Tule River. That is about 1 mile
        south of Ave 144. We joined two other birders from Visalia that had been
        there for a while without finding the bird. We drove east and then north
        along the dirt road that runs along the river up to the red race car
        mentioned by Mike San Miguel. At that point we got out and walked around for
        the better part of an hour and the other couple left before Mike and I did.
        We then continued along the dirt road until it came out onto Ave 144. We
        refound the Visalia couple there and chatted some more. They mentioned that
        they had seen a kite hovering in the distance, but that it went below the
        trees. After some more fruitless looking, Mike and I headed east and scanned
        the treeline as we crept along. About 1/3 mile east of Tule River we got on
        the Mississippi Kite as it was hovering and then flutter-dropped down
        decending on some prey and dropped below the treeline again. Just before it
        dropped out of sight I got a very good look at the heavily brick red
        spotted/barred chest and under wing linings. The wings were kind of shaped
        like a Swainson's Hawk, only narrower and the tail was dark brown with light
        bands. The back was dark gray with a hint of rufous at the base of the
        primaries. I didn't think juvs had that feature, but this one definitely
        showed some. We quickly made a U-Turn and raced back to find the Visalia
        couple. We caught up with them and went back to the spot where we saw the
        kite. Unfortunately we were not able to refind it after at least an hour of
        looking. Mike and I then headed down to look for the Golden-Plovers and then
        on to the Kern NWR. On the way back we looked again for the kite without
        success.

        Other birds of local interest:

        Kent Ave Ponds in Kings County - Snowy Plovers (3), Semipalmated Plovers
        (2), Red-necked Phalaropes (3)

        Hwy 43, 1 mile south of Virginia Ave, Kings County - Semipalmated Plover
        (1), Caspian Terns (8)

        Kern NWR - Peregrine Falcon - imm.

        Jim Gain

        Modesto