Re: [CALBIRDS] YBMP in Davis

  • Michelle Burkey
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
      I am still seeing several flocks of anywhere from 50 to 100 of YBMP heading
      to roost every evening in Fairfield approximately 25 miles west of Davis.
      The numbers here seem to be remaining steady.

      Michelle

    • Gary Zamzow
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2005
        Hi Michelle,

        That is encouraging news. Thanks for counting Magpies.
        Here in Davis I'm still finding small groups of Magpies in several
        areas.
        But no big evening flights.

        Here is a site for anybody who would like to count Magpies in their
        area.
        http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/wildlife/projects_BBB.html
        The site is in Davis, but the format can be used for wherever Magpies
        are located.

        Steve Hampton made a good point about comparing past Christmas Bird
        Counts
        with this years Christmas Bird Counts. I hope that the tally is in the
        Magpies favor.

        One thing that I have noticed about Magpies since I started counting
        them is how
        gentle and aloof they seem to be.
        They don't seem to like to associate with other bird species.
        I'm sort of reminded about what Bob Dylan said about some performers
        that had
        a look in their eye that said I know something that you don't know.
        To me, Magpies have that kind of look.

        Here is a site that has some good information about Magpies
        http://www.prbo.org/calpif/htmldocs/species/oak/ybmaacct.html

        Take care.
        Gary Zamzow
        Davis, CA

        On Oct 7, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Michelle Burkey wrote:

        > I am still seeing several flocks of anywhere from 50 to 100 of YBMP
        > heading
        > to roost every evening in Fairfield approximately 25 miles west of
        > Davis.
        > The numbers here seem to be remaining steady.
        >
        > Michelle

      • Kenneth Burton
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2005
          Just to set the record straight, the correct code for Yellow-billed Magpie is YBMA, not YBMP. I think it's fine to get into the habit of using the codes, but if they're not correct no one can search for them in the archives. If you would like to use codes but are unsure of what they are, they are listed at http://www.birdpop.org/AlphaCodes.htm.

          Ken Burton
          McKinleyville
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2005
            When anyone lists a web site like that below for the Alpha Codes,
            PLEASE refrain from ending the sentence with an underlined period!
            URL's are touchy and the web search engines try to find an "htm.",
            rather than "htm"! Thanks.

          • Debbie Viess
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
              This weekend I was up at Yuba Pass for an SFSU mushroom foray, and
              couldn't resist a pass through the Sierra Valley to see what birds were
              still around.
              Although the birdlife was nowhere near the height of the summer
              spectacle, there were still plenty of wildlife wonders to observe. Once
              we started driving along the (newly?) wash-boarded dirt road, our
              greeter birds were horned larks, perched attractively upon the
              fence-posts. Meadowlarks flitted here and there. We saw two merlin flash
              by, and then, a little ways along the road, a third, although perhaps it
              was one of the original two. There were lots of huge, dark raptors, most
              of which turned out to be redtails. One hulking hawk, on the ground and
              close by the road, was an unmistakable, light-phase ferruginous hawk.
              After a bit it flew off, and coursed slowly along, just a few feet off
              of the ground. Sweet. But the best sighting, by far, was a loose flock
              of 46+ sandhill cranes. There was one obvious family group (vigilant
              male, and Mom and juvenile), but the rest appeared to be in their more
              convivial winter flocking mode. Sierra Valley is not large enough to
              support 15+ breeding pairs, so I imagine that most of these birds were
              in transit to their wintering grounds. All of the birds were foraging in
              a freshly mowed agricultural field.

              The next day, we were combing the woods at Yuba Pass for our fungal
              friends. It was a bit dry for mushrooms, but just dandy for birds. I was
              surrounded by a splendid, mountain-flavored mixed species flock,
              composed of evening grosbeaks, purple finches, mountain chickadees and a
              handsome, male white-headed woodpecker, the crimson of his crown
              contrasting nicely with the white of his head. Creepers, white-breasted
              nuthatches and a couple of lingering yellow-rumped warblers completed
              the mix.

              As an addendum to the recent postings of yellow-billed magpies in the
              Sacramento Valley, we saw six birds fly over the road as we drove past
              Davis. Seems
              like these dramatically beautiful corvids may be down, but not out.

              Debbie Viess
              Oakland, CA