Pt Loma and Vicinity (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hi, all!

      Met Sue Smith at Cabrillo National Monument to look for migrants today; it
      was an absolutely gorgeous day, which meant it was lousy for migrants! :-P
      But there were a few vagrants hanging around that we got to see.

      We spent some time at The Drip first, logging several sparrows including
      "Fat-billed Fox", then moseyed around the lighthouse area; most interesting
      thing there was a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. On the way back to the parking
      area a bunny went tearing across the road in front of us, to be followed
      shortly by a Coyote! The bunny went into the bush and the coyote turned down
      the Bayside Trail (I think he got distracted by us...). We decided to spend a
      few more minutes at The Drip before heading on and ran into several other
      birders (I won't name names as I didn't know everyone, and I don't wanna hurt
      anyone's feelings!), and as we waited the Clay-colored Sparrow came in!

      From there we headed to Fort Rosecrans and ran into John Martin and his
      friend (I neglected to introduce myself), who found the Chestnut-sided Warbler,
      so we all enjoyed her! Sue suggested checking out the north border to see if
      the female Grace's Warbler was still hanging around, and lo and behold, she
      was! Over at the Bennington Monument we had a real strange-sounding
      Townsend's Warbler (I thought we had a Myrtle at first), hanging out with the
      Bushtits. A female Bullock's Oriole made an appearance as well.

      We had lunch at a great sandwich place after that (it's at the bottom of
      Canon, and is evidently becoming popular among the birders), chatted about
      Ecuador, then Sue had to take off for a seminar. I continued on to Sunset Cliffs,
      where the gulls were panting away, and the cormorants didn't seem the least
      put out by a Pteranodon sharing their rock! At Robb Field there was NO
      sandbar whatsoever; I've NEVER seen that water that high! (So there were just
      pelicans and gulls in there at that point...) A guy pulled up all excited about
      an Osprey he had seen, so he showed me that, but that was the most
      interesting thing here. So I checked the FCC off Sea World Drive, and IT was pretty
      deep, too! (Just a couple of egrets in there and some wigeons further
      down...) Since the tide was so high I thought maybe Kendalfrost Marsh might be
      worth checking, so I headed over there.

      Got distracted by a HUGE flock of Elegant Terns and Black Skimmers on the
      beach at Crown Point! There were also Black-bellied Plovers, both turnstones,
      Red Knots, and a token Sanderling in there (as well as one each of Common and
      Forster's Terns), but the Elegants stole the show! After dragging myself
      away from that spectacle (and a million pictures later) finally got around to
      checking out the marsh, where the most interesting thing was a group of
      Long-billed Curlews feeding alongside the Snowy Egret.

      Headed up to Torrey Pines for a hike after that, where it was pretty quiet,
      but I was surprised to flush a pair of meadowlarks; I don't think I've ever
      seen them at that park before! Two sets of tourists came down to enjoy the
      view while I was sitting on the bench (that was a first, too), and a Peregrine