Kings and Tulare Co. birds, 5 Oct 05

  • sanmigbird@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hi all,

      This morning I found a juvenile Mississippi Kite in southern
      Tulare County. It flushed from a large cottonwood tree
      along the Tule River just east of Highway 43 where it
      crosses the River. Heading north turn right immediately
      after crossing the Hwy 43 bridge about a mile south of
      Ave 144 or Highway 190. The cottonwoods are marked by
      a toy rece car on the road under the tree. I watched the
      bird for 5-10 minutes before it dropped below the tree line.
      Listen for its thin down-slurred phee-eeuu vocalizations.
      The habitat is perfect and there are 1,000s of dragonflies
      in the vicinity so the bird could stick around the area.

      I also observed two golden plovers one of which I identified
      as an American Golden Plover. Nearby was a Stilt
      Sandpiper. Both birds were in the evaporation ponds along
      Corcoran Road one mile south of Virginia Ave. in extreme
      southeastern Kings county. There are thousands of birds
      in these ponds. Hundreds of Sandhill Cranes have returned
      to nearby Pixley NWR.

      Mike San Miguel
      Arcadia Ca