RE: [CALBIRDS] Status of Mute Swan in the West?

  • snorkler@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25 8:44 AM
      Back in the late 60's, I was a grad student at the Univ. of Arizona and the AZ Dept. Fish and Game gave us a hunter-killed juvenile swan for identification. We dissected it and determined from the shape of its syrinx (among other things) that it was a Mute Swan. I think the hunter got off without charges because the Mute Swan isn't/wasn't protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty. That seems way early for reproducing wild populations, but it does show they've been out in the west a long time.

      Darrell